Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Walking boots recommendation

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Alice Childress, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

I want to invest in a really good pair of walking boots, but have absolutely no idea where to start looking, or what brands/kind are recommended.

I'm hyper mobile and as a result have a dodgy back, and pretty flat feet, and although creating good muscle tone helps holds me together, walking in the wrong shoes, or without lifts, can muck up my back no end.

So, I need a shoe with a lot of support, preferably ankle support as well. Water proof and hard wearing. I prefer the traditions walking boot look, but comfort comes before style.

Anyone have any suggestions, or boots to avoid?

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Best off going and trying lots of pairs. Personally I love my Altbergs and Karrimoor KSBs are a good mid budget sort of option. I'd go to a good outdoors shop and explain what you are after and they'll point you in the right direction.

3. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

I would also go for professional advice and trying on. Such an individual thing, different boots suit different people.

4. Alice Childress

Thanks guys, yeah, I always planned to go to a shop and actually try some one and talk to the staff, just wondering if there are any big names that are known for not being worth the money, or others that are respected and long lasting? (Call me a cynic but I don't always trust what the people in the shop say)

5. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I agree if you awkward shaped/sized feet then it makes sense to go and try them on before you buy.

I have these Meindl boots:

Meindl Kansas Lady GTX Walking Boots The Outdoor Shop

I adore them. They didn't need wearing in for me - they are comfortable from the get go. My mum did a 15 mile charity walk in them (doing exactly no preparation before hand! :rolleyes:) having never worn them previously with no issues either.

They are very sturdy without being too bulky and as far as walking shoes go, I think they aren't bad looking.

6. Alice Childress

Anyone have an experience with Brashers?

7. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I think as with anything you tend to get what you pay for.

I did a lot of research before I got my Meindl's and as well as them, I believe Scarpa and Brashers are thought of highly.

You can't go far wrong with Meindl's though - superb German footware!

8. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Brashers are good, I have a pair (although they are not my favourites which are Asolo), key is trying them on and walking around in them. A lot of outdoor stores have a rough hill to walk over, do it lots of time. Also try on after you have been walking around a lot :D

9. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

I have a couple of pairs of Brashers,one pair fabric and the other leather.

They are very good quality and I've had them years.

My most comfortable boots are by Merrell,I have a few pairs of theirs.:eek:

10. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Not cheap ones would be my recommendation.

11. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

I've had falling apart issues with Merrills, sadly as the fit was always good.

My current boots are "Keen", not a brand I had heard of but well worth checking out in my view. I did two 40 mile walks in them on varied terrain, plus loads of training walks and most of my everyday walking since I got them, no breaking in needed and no sign of wear as of yet.

12. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I cannot get along with Meindls at all, which is a shame as the quality seems superb.

13. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

One thing to do with walking boots is to always spray a waterproof soloution on them first time, then periodically when you clean them. I had some walking boots (along with other stuff) nicked out of my car. Good Gri sports ones but I haven't got the money to go and buy expensive ones so have been to go outdoors this weekend and bought some cheap £25 freedome trail Derwent II boots.
    Freedom Trail Derwent II Women's Waterproof Walking Boots | GO Outdoors
    I tried them on in the shop and although I would have liked to have tried on a 4 they didn't have any so went for a 5 which didn't seem too big even with thin socks so my thick wool socks fitted ok with them when I got home and put them on and walked around in them a bit. Now just got to spray them and I'll try them outdoors.
    These will do until I have the money for these
    Country Boot 2013 by Fuller Fillies - Fuller Fillies

14. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

I have a pair of goretex karrimor mid boots perfectly comfortable for all day walking and I've never had wet feet so can't be bad.

15. Sosha

Sosha PetForums Senior

Having a little trouble getting on with my meindls - though they're a stiffer mountain boot - they can eat my shins after a while. The problem is I have really bony shins. They were great in foul weather on a Welsh Mountain, but a bit heavy duty for the daily dog walk. Quality wise can't fault them but given the majority of walking I do, I should have gone for something less heavy duty.

Did have a pair of Karimoor Suede - they've now got too many holes in and leaked after 2 years - but were very comfy if a bit sweaty. Very glad I didn't have them with me in Wales as I'd have had cold, wet feet.
    Just got a deal (£50 delivered) on a pair of equally lightweight Brasher's to replace them with. (felt comfortable in the shop). Got a good review from some bloke that walked 20 miles a day for a fortnight in spain in them.

Convert to leather. Easier to clean & waterproof - and given all the mud last year that's a big plus for me.

Sounds like I have a boot fettish

#15 Sosha, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  16. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Great thread I'm also looking for new dog walking shoes, as my sole is coming away on my Solomons trainers though have had them a while. Realizing now just how comfy they were as get sore feet/achey legs.

Definitely try on some instore as some brands come up small, i found salomon and merrell was size larger for me, really don't understand why they can't stick to standards.

17. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

I've been very pleased with my Scarpas Terra GTX WMN - Trek - Scarpa which I got from Cotswold Outdoor - must have tried on 9 or 10 pairs before settling on these. They're 3 years old now and still going strong.

OH wears Hi Tec Magnums; MAGNUM® Official UK Store | Leading UK Supplier of Combat, Military, Army, Desert, Safety & Work Boots | Free Delivery & Returns | Free Delivery & Free Returns one pair for work, the other for walking and he swears by them. He rarely gets foot pain anymore and has got on really well with these considering he can be on his feet at work 12 - 14 hours a day. Not the nicest looking of the boots available though!

18. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

19. SleepyBones

SleepyBones Banned

I think you will benefit by posting on the forum below as well, hill walking & mountains is their hobby & the right gear for the right job is way of life with them.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/i.php?f=11

#19 SleepyBones, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  20. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

I have mixed feelings about merrels. My husband had a pair he loved. I tried some on in he shop and despite being too small they felt so comfy and like a pair of slippers so i ordered a pair on the net. They are so uncomfortable and not waterproof as they were meant to be. But i bought a pair of zip up leather boots that i love. No support though and as i have overpronation tendons problems not great on going.

Karrimor also can be iffy IMO. I believe they have been bought out by sports direct/field and trek and quality has suffered from their previous standards.

Hi tec can be good quality.

I guess another for German make. The best i ever had were Joseph Seibels

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice