Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Walking and the hoover/hairdryer/mop/hosepipe

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by smegs1978, Aug 1, 2009.

1. smegs1978

smegs1978 PetForums Junior

Hello All,

We took Barney to the vets yesterday and he thought he might be about 12 weeks old, i walk him 3 times a day for approx 10 mins each time. Is this to much?

Also how can i stop him barking at the hoover, hairdryer, mop, hosepipe actually anything that looks threating to him, do i tell him off as i have been ignoring it so far. I assume its because he is frightened?

2. rona

rona Guest

They are all monsters to him at the moment :D, he will soon accept them as normal parts of life.
    Well maybe not the hoover ;)
    Just ignore for the moment

3. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

He will get used to those things as he gets older.
    The walking well depending which breed of dog you have i feel you have to be led by that, ive had 3 springers 2 at the mo the youngest being 12 months and if i had walked them for 10 mins they would have been crawling the walls, because thats the breed,:rolleyes: i was always carefull of the types of walks, so to not put too much strain on young,soft developing bones.

4. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

The formal exercise recommendation for medium/large breeds is 5 mins per month of age, although I'm not sure for smaller breeds.

As regards the hoover, and anything else, they're most likely looking to you to see how to react?? Both mine have become accustomed to the hoover, and anything else, in fact Indie insists on being hoovered :rolleyes: before I continue in cleaning the room. The basic rule is that anything that you make an issue out of, they will learn to make an issue of too, so as long as it's a normal and everday occurrence (backed up by your actions) then they shouldn't mind it at all. The worst thing you can do is to reassure them that there isn't an issue, they won't actually understand that, all they'll understand is something is scary and you are confirming that.

5. zanussi

zanussi PetForums Member

Your puppy just needs to get used to all the new things around him. Let him approach them whilst they're switched off so he can explore them for himself and give lots of praise when he does, then start to move them around (still switched off) till he gets used to that, then gradually build up the time that they're switched on for to till he's not bothered at all.
    I'm still working on it with Banjo- he's fine when the hoover/mop/broom aren't moving but he runs away when I start to push them around.

6. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Don't tell him off. Ignore.

You can do things to make him less worried about things, but chances are he'll work out soon enough that they're harmless. My dog still hates the hoover - in fact funny things worry her. She goes and hides if she sees me shaking a carton of milkshake; I've never used shake/rattle bottles on her or anything similar, but apparently the milkshake carton is terrifying :D

7. sammyben

sammyben Guest

IMO, I would say 10 mins 3 times a day is fine for a pup of 12 weeks as it's not too much all at once.

As for the hoover etc, he will take time to get used to them. Sammy runs into his cage when we hoover and daren't move lol, although when I am sweeping up he thinks its fun to try and catch the brush!! :D

8. smegs1978

smegs1978 PetForums Junior

Thanks again all for the great advice.

We took Barney to oour local park today and we spent about an hour there. He was exhausted, and slept for 2 hours when we got home, will only be doing this once a week at the weekends, he met loads of dogs though and seemed to really get on with them, we also introduced him to some guinea pigs, some goats and a peacock.

9. vl589

vl589 PetForums Newbie

Regarding the hoover etc.. We had this problem with our puppy, he would bark constantly as soon as he saw the hoover, mop or sweeping brush. Get an empty tin can and put some stones in it. When your dog barks at something shake the tin. We did this with our puppy once and he now happily sits nice and quietly whenever the hoover etc are out! It also stopped him putting his toys in the dishwasher!

10. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

All I have to do is go to the door of the cupboard where the hoover lives and Bella goes to bed - quite good if she is being a monster and needs to calm down! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice