Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

walking and puppy behaviour question/advice needed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by hippo745, Apr 15, 2011.

1. hippo745

hippo745 PetForums Junior

Hi

benji is the loveliest dog in the world, but when he meets new people he gets very excited and runs to them and he paws there trousers. Also on his walks when he goes past dogs (mostly big ones on my walk) he gets overly excited and trys to jump on them, get in their faces and paws at their faces and bodies (bad doggy manners basically). I think they are letting him get away with it atm, as he is only 14 weeks and they are massive compared to him. I would just like some tips on 1) what to do when he poors new people and 2) on walks (always on lead, but i have found most other dogs not on lead so they come up to him) what do i do/say to him to stop him pawing, jumping and getting in other dogs faces (its not aggressive at all, just overly playful behaviour, that might wind up a larger dog lol). Many thanks (he starts puppy classes next week so that may help to)

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I still have both of these problems with Kenzie and she's nearing 8 months :eek: Sorry, no advice here! :rolleyes:

3. bigdogworld

bigdogworld PetForums Member

Have you tried this:

When you are approaching another person/dog on your walk, stay relaxed (loose lead) but as soon as he starts to pull towards them, give a sharp tug on the lead and walk the other way for a few steps. Then turn round and repeat. Eventually he should get the message that pulling towards someone gets him nowhere, and he only gets to greet other people/dogs if he is calm and doesn't pull.

If he still jumps up when you greet the people/dogs, pull him away, wait for him to calm down, then return.

This is what we have been taught and seems to be good advice, though I'm sure there are far more qualified people on here to help you.

Neil :)

4. vicki.burns

vicki.burns PetForums Senior

My pup does exactly the same with other dogs, I have bern told at our puppy class that this is not a sign of aggression but playful yet trying to show dominance. Most dogs will read the playful side of things and either join in and play or if they aren't interested just ignore your pup. we haven't managed to stop him doing it as such but when the other owner is happy for them to have a sniff and a play, i let him because dogs need socialization with other dogs just as we do with people.

5. lexie2010

lexie2010 PetForums Senior

lexie is the same (she is now 13mths) always greets another dog by what you quite rightly say is bad doggy manners-she is never aggressive (no growling/baring teeth/barking) with them just in their face and pawing at their shoulders. she is just an overly friendly dog, but that isnt acceptable in this world where not everyone likes dogs-be they friendly or otherwise!
    so for the greeting other dogs-class will be huge help as they will have to greet other dogs in a controlled environment which should carry through to the real world-at our class dogs are encouraged to butt sniff(the mannerly way of dogs greeting each other) by coaxing them with the lead and teaching nervous dogs to accept other dogs sniffing their butts.
    in terms of greeting people, i "try" to have lexie as calm as i can-if i see people approaching (including cyclists) i get to her to sit and keep her there to allow the person approach her or pass by, now she will not sit continually-its still a work in progress but i am trying to teach her that she does not have to shower everyone with attention .
    have a way of getting your dogs focus on you, whether its treats/toy/clicker/verbal and use that in lots of situations so that you can begin to rely on it to keep her away from distractions.
    like i say-its all still a work in progress with lexie :tongue_smilie:

6. hippo745

hippo745 PetForums Junior

thanks guys for all the answers, anymore tips will be greatly appreciated! :001_smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice