Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Walking a shih tzu puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by ShihTzuHenry, Aug 2, 2020.

1. ShihTzuHenry

ShihTzuHenry PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone!

I was just looking for a little advice. We have a seven month shih tzu and I’m a bit worried I have walked him for too long!

we normally only do one walk in the evening during the week (normally for around 30 minutes for a mile). Over the weekend we like to go for longer walks (we are national trust members so really like to take advantage). We could walk for maybe two hours with Henry and on the last walk (which was about 2.25miles) a woman stopped us and told us we were walking him too far so now I am worried! I should add that he doesn’t appear to struggle with the walks or lag behind or anything like that. We have cut the walks down after the comment but I just some advice on what we should be looking to do/when to build up if we can.

we are going to Cornwall (hopefully) next year and would like to do some walking - can anyone recommend any carrier or anything like that for Henry when the walks become much too long for him?

we are first time dog owners so any advice is warmly received!

thank you everyone

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Two hours is perhaps a lot, but the 30 minutes for his usual walk is fine.

The kennel club recommends 5 minutes per month of age, twice a day. But that refers, I believe, to proper walking on hard pavements and not mooching and sniffing and going at his own pace.

The reason is because he hasn't reached skeletal maturity, so by next year (depending on when you go) he will probably be fine.

3. ShihTzuHenry

ShihTzuHenry PetForums Newbie

Thank you. When is likely to reach skeletal maturity? Just so I can plan!

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

It varies depending on the breed - basically it is when he is fully grown. From a quick google, it looks like growing stops at 15 months or so, having slowed significantly at 10 months.

5. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

In case you’re wondering it’s all about the puppy’s growth plates. ‘Over exercising’ a puppy before his growth plates have closed it can lead to long term problems which may not reveal themselves until the dog is much older. As has been said, the Kennel Club recommends 5 minutes’ exercise per month of age, up to twice a day. So, for your 7 month old, up to 35 minutes walking twice per day is fine - one walk of 70 minutes would not be.
    With regard to your long walk, as a one off I wouldn’t worry.
    If you want to know more, Google ‘puppy growth plates’.
    All the best.

JoanneF and Linda Weasel like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice