Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Walking a dog in season?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by TTB1, Sep 14, 2018.

1. TTB1

TTB1 PetForums Junior

Hi, not sure this is the right place to post this so I apologise if not!

My 10mnth old pup has just come into season two days ago and everyone’s told me not to walk her but I think it’s cruel to keep her locked up inside for three weeks straight. I can’t really let her out in the garden as she keeps managing to get underneath the chicken wire we put along the hedges and get out and also she’s been eating cat poop she keeps finding even though I can’t find any anywhere!

There are a lot of dogs in my area and I’m just worried that they’re gonna be able to get out when I walk her on the paths as a lot of the gardens don’t seem very secure especially for the big ones.

2. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi i love Animals too much

Take her in the car, and drive to somewhere quiet with few dogs off lead or none at all and walk her there. If anyone and their dog approaches you tell them she's in season and to keep their dogs away if un-neutered :) I'd recommend getting her spayed as then you don't have to worry about any of this in the future x

3. TTB1

TTB1 PetForums Junior

Hi, thanks for the suggestion unfortunately I don’t drive and she gets really car sick so even if I could get a lift it wouldn’t be a option. Also I was told my vet to not get her done until after her first season otherwise she would already be done haha x

4. Wild With Roxi

Yeah I meant afterwards :) Aww Ok..Maybe take the same measures (telling owners to keep un-neutered dogs away) but walk locally?

5. TTB1

TTB1 PetForums Junior

Yeah, I will do I’ve not had a bitch before so I’m a little out of my depth lol

6. Wild With Roxi

hehe yeah :) Good luck! x

7. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

You could try bitch spray which will help mask the smell.
    Try and walk where there are not many dogs
    Walk every other day and do plenty of other activities at home such as training and brain games
    Take your dog out on a lead in the garden so she doesn’t try and escape
    Restrict going out for a walk when your dog is at the most critical time of her season which will be when the bleeding lessens or stops or turns more clear which will be about 10 days in. This would be the most likely time that if a male dog does try to mate with her then she could get pregnant. She could also be looking for a dog to mate with so you really do need to keep her on a lead when in the garden as your garden seems not to be dog proof.

Oh, and it’s not cruel to restrict exercise so long as you are doing something else with the dog.

Torin., Lurcherlad and TTB1 like this.
  8. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

If you really have to walk your bitch then do it either very early in the morning or very late. whether you exercise or not the scent of a bitch in season will soon spread.

Lurcherlad and TTB1 like this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If she can get out of the garden then a male can get in so supervise her closely.

Should the worst happen get her to the vets pronto for a Mismate jab to stop any pregnancy.

Though if following sensible precautions as above, she should be safe.

Torin. and O2.0 like this.
  10. TTB1

TTB1 PetForums Junior

She’s never been able to get out before as we have chicken wire up around the hedges and a fence in at the end but yesterday afternoon she somehow got behind it, (my guess is she crawled underneath as it’s a sloped garden or pulled it down far enough for her climb over as it’s not right high), one of my neighbours does have wire up as well so she can’t get anywhere it’s just on the other side and obviously I don’t want her to get stuck.

But I just took her on the school run as I’ve never seen another dog out at that time and the school is only a 10 mins walk away and even though there wasn’t another dog out she was insanely berserk. I didn’t think they bothered too much at this stage but she was pulling, crying, trying to run and dogs were barking in windows. So it’s safe to say I think we’ll have to spend these next couple of weeks indoors with plenty of mental stimulation nd with supervised outdoor time. Thank you to everyone for the comments and suggestions though :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

12. Northpup

Northpup PetForums Member

For when you do take her out if you need whilst she’s in season you can get harness/leads that say “nervous” or whatever. It’s not strictly true obviously but is more likely to make people keep their dogs away and easier for them to spot from a distance. You also don’t need to be as on edge constantly looking around :)

Editing to say if you can specifically get a dog one eg keep dogs away I have seen these before and they’re bright yellow and very visita le

TTB1 likes this.
  13. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

The scent isn't that potent!

A bitches first season can be a bit traumatic - they feel strange but don't know why - I would give your young dog a few quiet walks during this first week and lots of play/training at home.

It's best to avoid anywhere where other dogs will be off lead so road walks are the safest. You can try the bitch spray if you are worried but to be honest if I walk mine during this first week I rarely get bothered - the scent is only mildly interesting and most dogs walk past without a second glance.

During the middle week i tend not to go to public places as this is when the bitches scent is at it's highest and they are able to mate. No off lead walking. This is when your bitch will be interested too so watch for escapes!

As the season settles it is usually ok to go on lead walking again once the third week has begun.

J

Torin. and O2.0 like this.
  14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I've used that along with the tablets you can get (both products made by Johnsons) and have had no issues with male dogs noticing my girls were in season, although I keep away as much as I can. I currently have 3 bitches - mum and 2 daughters. Mum wasn't spayed until after the litter (obviously), one daughter was spayed after her first season and the other is still entire - I might have a litter from her next year. Fortunately I drive and live near the sea so I can take my girls out on the sands at low tide where any scent will soon be washed away, but still have to be near other dogs at the parking area.

15. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I think I used the tablets for Isla as well, can’t really remember now as she was spayed afterwards.

16. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I really like the scent of the bitch spray. If I were going to use air freshener, I'd use it instead.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice