Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Walking a 14 week puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by joanne langley-white, May 3, 2017.

1. joanne langley-white

joanne langley-white PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm after a little advice. I have a 14 week old border collie/dalmatian pup. As you can guess she has alot of energy. I have been taking her out for pavement walk for 20 mins in the morning and across to the park 5 mins on lead and then off the lead in the park 20 mins in the afternoon.

If a dog approaches, I recall her and put her back on the lead as she is a little wary of other dogs and is likely to run. So she has a little lead work in the park as well.

My question is given her breed do you think it would be sensible to walk her for longer periods as she is still very bouncy when we get home? Or do you think it will give her joint problems later in life?

Thank you for your advice.

2. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

You need to limit walks to 5 minutes per month of age, particularly on-lead. The best kind of exercise for a young pup is free-running on soft ground such as grass, where she can go at her own pace and stop when she needs to. Other good ways of tiring out include play and short training sessions. Do some little games like hiding treats around the house or garden for her to find. If you need her to settle down then a food puzzle or stuffed Kong will also help to wear her out mentally.

3. joanne langley-white

joanne langley-white PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your advice, I give her a kong whilst I'm at work and various puzzle toys. She really enjoys playing in the park off her lead and I'm doing evening training with her in the garden. I just want to ensure I'm giving her enough exercise and play time.

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Over exercising...can lead to an exercise obsessive dog. Which isn't good.

The best dogs who are the ones that can actual cope with the occasional missed walk, because sometimes life throws a curve ball, and its just not possible for whatever reason.

Dogs that are happy to amuse themselves with a Kong, even play alone is good too, great for confidence.

From what you have said, you are doing a great job. Very responsible, putting your puppy on the lead too. Your dog is having a great start, and hoping for dog neutral dog is the best you can ask for, so it all sounds promising.

joanne langley-white and Sairy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice