Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Walking 2 or more dogs--who has tips?!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by debtherat, Aug 13, 2009.

1. debtherat

debtherat PetForums Member

Any tips for walking 2 or more dogs comfortably on leash? have 2 young (9 and 6 month) old dogs, and hate not having hands free! I know you can buy walking belts but don't know if anyone would recommend them? At moment have younger dog looped to my belt hook on a harness, older dog on leash and it does work- with the odd tangle! Am especially keen to find a comfortable solution for us all as there could be a 3rd addition to the household and whilst they have plenty of opportunity to run safely off leash I want to make sure I can control them all when on leash.

2. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

why not get a double lead?

3. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

LOL you remind me of a lady we see on our walks around the square

We see this lady she has got alot of dogs i think she walks something like 6 dogs. All she use's is horse leads. Wraps them around her hips and clips the dogs on. The have enough space to snif and wonder, but not enough to tangle if that makes sence.

I was speaking to her the other day and the dogs she had then was.
    Doberman, GSD, RW, and a yorkie lmao!

Hope this helps, sorry i cant assist more i just use a normal lead lol

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I think training is the key. If a dog is well trained on the lead, no pulling etc, then in theory, you can walk multiple dogs with no problems.

If you have one or more dogs that pull, then its always going to be a struggle.

Like suggested, you can use a coupling chain, but these will only work with well behaved dogs. I tried one with my 2 staffies once, was a total disaster.

5. jilly40

jilly40 PetForums VIP

i tried that once on two cavs i had as you total disaster! they just throttled each other! with my two now i use halties & seperate leads short if i cart let them off ie road walks & flexis on longer walks if i can let them run.i find u find out wich side they walk on better with each other as you go along.one pushes the other dog out but if they swap one walks in front of me tripping me up!! so its easier to have the younger one walk nxt to me :D xx

6. NinaE87

NinaE87 PetForums Newbie

As a 2 dog owner, I can sympathize with you on this one!

I agree that you definitely need to work on training them to walk on the leash next to you. It really makes a world of difference.

However, it doesn't really solve the problem of trying to juggle two leashes and poop bags etc. I use the Rascodog ReadyLeash. It's one handle that you can attach multiple leashes too. It's a life savor.

What kind of dogs do you have? I have 2 mutts (lab and collie) and the leash works really well, but they're on the bigger side. I don't know if its the best option for a toy breed.

7. debtherat

i have a small lab- shes the older one, and a collie/whippet/terrier- she's the younger. i have spent time heel training them and individually they are fine- its walking them together which i am finding more difficult. I have training leads for both, but cant use them together as i end up in all sorts of knots! its not a bad system Ive got at the moment- but am sure there is room for improvement! Roxy- lab- loves to sniff and pulls slightly more but walks like a dream on her own Scully -muttley- is younger and more easily distracted but walks to heel brilliantly too on her own. i need another pair of hands for poop scooping hence the idea of tying Scully to my waist, and just want to master the art of walking without one dog stopping here, and the other stopping there.. I feel like a tyrant! I tried a coupling lead and found it didn't seem to give me any control over either!!!!

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have you thought about using the headcollars, like halti's and gentle leaders?

They can help if you have dogs that want to go all over the place.

I sympathise with the poo picking up. I have to try and get mine to sit, then struggle to tie a know in the bag.

9. debtherat

i have thought of trying them, but to be honest don't really like them. I am lucky in that there are loads of places I can just let them off to walk off lead, and i could just do that, but i have noticed that if we actually all do walk together for half an hour, when i let them off they are so much calmer and better behaved and play together, otherwise Scully tends to dominate the proceedings- barking incessantly to be chased or have a ball!
    O gosh- and am thinking of adopting a third!!
    Maybe should wait til my 2 girls are older?

10. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

My 2 dogs walk well on the lead and together which helps. I just loop both lead handles round my right wrist and use my left hand to take up the slack/steer. I walk with both dogs on the inside/verge side of me. When i need to poop pick i take up the spare lead with my right hand and use my free left hand.

11. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

My two lhasa boys will walk great together on separate leads but they will not walk together on a brace... pulling and stuff lol but as soon as we put the separate leads back on they were fine and walk with their sides almost touching without a problem.

12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I walk the 4 youngest whippets together. Sometimes on seperate leads sometimes on coupler leads in pairs. Its ok if the 2 dogs get on fine and are of a similar weight but if you couple a bigger dog with a snall dog the big dog will drag the smaller one around.

The problem I have is they all want to be the one that works next to me but they all want to walk together and not 2 on 1 side and 2 on the other side.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice