Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Walking 2 dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sarbear, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Sarbear

Sarbear PetForums Junior

It is not an option for me to walk my 2 dogs separately.

Those who walk 2 dogs together - do you have separate leads, how does it work best for you?

2. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

I walk 3 together and all on separate short leads with half check collars and it works well for me.

3. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

I walk two and have a SASS walking belt, with 2 training leads on it. Easy and hands free :)

4. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

walking belt and seperate leads (adjustable length slider leads with traffic handles)

all 3 dogs on half check collars

All will walk relatively nicely :) walking belt means I can pick up poop without risking dropping the leads, and when if we see a cat they don't drag me over :lol:

5. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I prefer separate leads and usually walk both dogs on left of me or inside to road, handles on right wrist and use left hand on leads to steer, can also let one wander & keep one close etc, having different coloured leads helps with this. Can poop pick with free hand, take up lead slack with other dogs are good at waiting while I do this.

#5 2Hounds, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  6. Freddie and frank

Freddie and frank PetForums VIP

i only ever walk the two boys together on lead.
    they have dogmatic headcollars with double ended leads...couldn't do it without.

i have one each side, a bumbag for treats, and it works quite well.
    took a bit of getting used to, but it's no problem now. :)

7. Sarbear

Sarbear PetForums Junior

Thanks for your replies.

I have been thinking about a walking belt. I have a 5 month old Cockerpoo and a 9 year old Shih Tzu. I currently walk them both with harness and extension lead. And sometimes I have my 4 year old Daughter with me. This is something I worry about because when I stop to pick up poo it's a juggle holding them both safely.

Is it easy to train dogs to walk on a walking and belt? Are they just intended for big/strong dogs?

8. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

They always walk in the same position (Molly on outside, Pippa on inside, loose heelwork on the left).

Definitely separate leads for me.

9. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

I walk 3 dogs on separate leads,they are just walked on their collars either Martingales or half check.

At the moment I have 2 on one side and my new dog on the other side as she needs a bit of training to walk on a loose lead.

If I'm going on a long walk I will have 1 maybe 2 on a walking belt.

10. Labrador Laura

Labrador Laura PetForums VIP

Walking them both on double ended leads. Zab is walked on his collar and Mylo is walked with his Dogmatic and half check collar but they both have a good onlead heel so I have no problem walking them together.

11. Wildmoor

Wildmoor PetForums Senior

I walk 4 together 2 each side all on separate leads - I use thin leather leads

12. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

A walking belt is a good idea and gives you hands free to pick up poop. You can still hold the leads if you like (I feel lost without a lead in my hand) but you can text, answer the phone and you don't have to worry about the dogs at all. I occasionally walk Kali and Bruce together, one attached either side of the belt and its so easy.

13. BeauNoir

BeauNoir PetForums VIP

I walk both of mine with 2 leads each, they both get walked on one side as well. They have headcollars, harnesses and martingale collars, one lead attached to headcollar and one to the harness and headcollar attached to martingale (except Quinn's). Both the leads are adjustable length and I usually use it on second shortest. One of the leads are from cosydogs, the other from silver peacock.

Different colours helps, I do not use a belt as I like having them in my hands. Both my dogs run to my mums house in the event of an emergency (we trained this for weeks incase of fire/burglary/etc) so I would rather be able to drop the leads if they were being attacked than have to try to detach two of them.

14. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I use a walking belt for my 4. The girls are on a coupler with harnesses and the boys are the other side with seperate leads and harnesses.
    (the girls like to potter along next to each other so a coupler is ideal but the boys do their own thing!).

15. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I walk with one dog on each side of me on harnesses and double ended leads.

I have a walking belt for longer walks where going offlead isn't possible and use harnesses with it and each dog on a separate lead.

16. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

If I walk the boys - both on the right.
    If I walk either of the boys with Pen, one either side as Pen is a nightmare with traffic.
    Down the lane I have two in front, 1 at the side, they know their "in" so I don't have to worry when cars come.
    If I walk 4, then it's boys on the right, Pen and whoever on the left.
    4 down the lane is Pen and Jack in front, Lou and whoever by my side.
    If I walk all 5 then it's the same but with an added one somewhere.

:)

I do own a walking belt now so that makes life a lot easier.

17. JessIncaFCR

JessIncaFCR PetForums VIP

Mine are both walked on harnesses and I have them on the same side on separate leads walking on a loose lead :)

18. finleyjon

finleyjon PetForums Senior

I have one in each hand on Halti training leads, either side of me.

19. sbonnett76

sbonnett76 PetForums Senior

Our two are walked on separate leads. Roxy with a half check, Gencon headcollar and a double lead (oh and a harness for when I put the long line on her) and Luther with a normal collar and short lead.

Luther is the only one ever allowed off lead and when we reach the areas that they can both roam, I transfer a long line onto Roxy's harness.

20. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I walk all four dogs together and use separate leads. They usually walk on my left hand side, but sometimes I have two on each side depending where I am.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice