Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

waiting times....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by vickie1985, May 14, 2010.

1. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

ive just rang the dentist to book 2 appointments for me and OH.

OH's tooth has just snapped in half, and i know i need a filling.....cant get in untill 15th June!! i think that is discusting waiting times!!!

im so angry now.

2. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Is it NHS?

The problem is they get so over subscribed that even if you are registered with that dentist they don't have to see you until they have space on their books. If OH is in a lot of pain the emergency dentist should see him asap. If you are private I would switch surgeries as that isn't good enough for private :nonod:

I know their is a loop hole in that if an NHS dentist anywhere has space on their books they are obliged to see people...if you have any other surgeries nearby it could be worth seeing if they will see you, you don't have to go to the dentist you are registered with but often there is no space...

I would have a got at contacting other surgeries if you can see if they would be willing to see either of you. That waiting time for a broken tooth in particular is awful, and when you know you need a filling :( Its not great but this is why I think I will always go for a private dentist and go on Denplan when I am a few years older. Not cheap by any means but teeth can cause so much trouble and it sounds crap having to wait this long :(

You're in Lincoln, aren't you? I know someone who works at the Oasis dentist there I think, only on reception I think though! I hope you can get appts elsewhere *hugs*!

#2 GoldenShadow, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  3. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

That is abit poor tbh, I haven't even got a dentist because they are so hard to find :( I hope you ca hold off until then

4. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

i am in Lincoln, and we are at NHS dentist, there is a privart one there too, but cant afford to see them, hes not in pain as hes half way through root cannal so they have already killed the nerves, but he said he keeps catching his tonge on it. ive been getting mild toothache in the one i need a filling in, i just hope i can hold out a month!

5. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Yes i agree, waiting times are ridiculous. I live in Belfast and we have have a pain clinic at the hospital for pain relief and emergency dental work. Do you have anything like that near you? Failing that would it be possible to get another dentist? I know it's extremely difficult but i was in the same boat as you and luckily found an NHS to register with.

6. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

We do have emergency dentists, before we was with this dental practice my OH had to drive 1 hour to see an emergency dentist, thats how hard it is now.

7. GoldenShadow

Good that he isn't in pain. You can get this waxy stuff to put on braces to stop them rubbing on your lips. Is it worth asking the dentist if they stock this and if he could have some to stick on the sharp side of his tooth in the mean time?

My Mum's a hygienist I'll ask her if there is anything much you can do for now to help you both out but I'm not too sure there is :(

Dentists are damn expensive which is why I think I will go on Denplan eventually. After 2 years you become unregistered with NHS dentists apparently and they aren't obliged to see anybody at all on their books unless they have space, which is why even though you are registered, you have to wait so damn long :(

More surgeries have opened up in Lincs over the last few years so hopefully there will be more dentists about soon too!!

8. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I know it's awful - there's just not enough dentist or doctors.

I phoned my doctors to make an appointment at the beginning of May and they were fully booked for May :eek: No available Doctors appointments for 6 weeks :(

9. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

we will all have to train as dentists and help each other out lol

10. GoldenShadow

That's awful :(

I'm lucky with mine as every Mon-Fri from 9.00-10.30am if you turn up at any time between then they will see you. Our appts are usually booked up though and the GP will stay late for a couple of people usually too! It is bad, hope you can get your GP appt soon Fleur!

11. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

my dr is good too, if you ring between 9 and 11 they try and see you before 2pm and if you want an afternoon appointment you have to ring after 2pm

12. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

They do emergency appointments - but you need to get past the receptionist for them ;)
    Luckily it was just a check up for my daughter, so there was no urgency - I rarely go to the docs.
    I think they hope you'll either be better or dead by the time an appoinments available - either way you won't need the appointment :lol:

13. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Thats terrible :(

I had to have a tooth taken out because they couldnt fit me in to do a root canel so instead it was easier to take the tooth out i agree as i was in so much pain and being pregnant didnt want to go through to much. best thing i ever did lol!

Ours docs are ok but i do hate when the receptionist asks why i want an appointment, when your a doctor love i'll tell you but till then just give me an appointment please! and the best one "you have ring in advance for an emergency appointmen" yes because i can tell a week before that im going to be ill on this day you numpty!

14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I've got a drill:D:D:D

15. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Wow, that is really bad.
    I'm always able to get an appointment at the doctors or dentist quite quickly.
    Doctors always manage to give me one on the day I call, and dentist usually a couple of days after.

16. metame

metame PetForums VIP

my tooth fell off :p
    you can get temporary filling stuff from the chemist apparently.

but thats why i paid not only to go home but also to go to the privat debntist im registered with at home.

its stupid

17. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Waiting lists are terrible everywhere in the NHS :( I have to wait around 18 months before I can see a psychiatrist :nonod:

18. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

You should be able to get an emergency appointment.. You will need to state its urgent... Sorry if this has been previously said..

My 11yo knocked his two front teeth off (knocked them on a mental bin teeth gone from half way down. rang everywhere for an emergency dentist cause he was in lot of pain.. Not even the hospital would help us.. Anyway rang dentist in the morn and by the afternoon they had rebuilt his teeth.. Touch wood they have stayed..lol

19. metame

metame PetForums VIP

did they just do it with filling stuff? if so that last longer than crowns - has done for me anyhow

20. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

OUCH!

i remember seeing a young lad hit a parked car going down hill on his rollerblades....it put me off my blades for months! his 2 front teeth was still in the bonnet of this car!! :eek: i was so stunned i didnt know what to do lol i was only about 9-10 though!! he must have been about 13

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice