Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

waiting for our whelping kit to arrive :)

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Blissful Dog Groomer, May 11, 2010.

1. Blissful Dog Groomer

Blissful Dog Groomer PetForums Member

I just hope it doesnt turn up when i have to go pick my son up :/ also going to order the dopram v and nutri drops today as i think the dopram sounds good to have if there was to be any problems hopefully not though as my girl is most important to me :( , is there anything else you would all recommend, do you think we should get a heat mat for the pups with the first two weeks being the most important part of keeping them warm with them not being able to regulate there temperature properly or will mum keep them warm enough? thanks

2. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

3. Blissful Dog Groomer

Thanks for that, i didnt think of a room thermometer which is obviously a good idea when u want to keep pups and stopwatch by looking at that i just need glucose but how do i get this and where from ive read not everyone has used it but if it helps i will!, liquid life aid and the other meds which im just about to order i wish i had just ordered the heat mat when i ordered the whelping kit there from the same place, looks like were near enough sorted so you have any other tips and info lol :thumbup::thumbup:
    Thankyou very much i want to make sure i do everything properly and carefully to make sure there all ok including mum

which is better out of the heat matt and lamp?

4. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

As far as I'm aware, heat mats are better than lamps.

5. Lucylewis0

Lucylewis0 PetForums VIP

Defo heat matt!!! as pups can move off heat pads if they get too hot, but with lamps they can't unless you have really big whelping pen, also heat lamps can overheat/risk of fire and could also shatter over mum and puppies.

Did you order from whelping kit from petnap?

ooohhh forgot to say ICE CREAM :) Welshcrazy's top tip!!!!
    it is a must for your mummy dog during labour and inbetween pups, helps keep her cool and gives her a little boost

6. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

My pups or their mother wouldn't lay on my heat mat at all.....:rolleyes:

7. mollydolly01

mollydolly01 PetForums Junior

same here, i have my heat mat on 24/7 and never see pups on it

8. Blissful Dog Groomer

do you still use it knowing they dont go on it? and i have seen two on petnap which is where i did get the whelping kit from :) theres one metal matt an one material one i like the metal one which does anyone else think is better or use?

9. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I've had both. The metal one is better, but I turned mine off after a couple of weeks of having it on for no reason lol.

10. Lucylewis0

Lucylewis0 PetForums VIP

I had the fabric one :thumbup: my pups where born in october so it was quite cold so I had it switched on all the time, pups always used, they would snuggle down and sleep very well on it.

11. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

i have the petnap flexible lead heat pad. brill.

12. Blissful Dog Groomer

hello again :) im trying to choose between two petnap heat pads one is £30 fabric one and 33x44cm and the metal one is a bit more and extra for the cover too, which do you think i should get? should i get the one with more heat/coverage for a cheaper price or the metal which would seem longer lasting??thanks

13. Lucylewis0

Lucylewis0 PetForums VIP

I had the vinyl one, it was great for us, kept warm easy to clean the cover. I used it for 6 weeks solid and it's still i great condition :thumbup: so it's up to really hunni

14. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

#14 shazalhasa, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  15. Blissful Dog Groomer

yes it is i wish we got the eye tests done but both parents of lilly and the stud have been tested and clear but i dont really want to make her travel now as its about an hour away for her and she is due on the 31st of may so i dont want to stress her we are excited for her but ive been looking round and asking lots of questions lol to make sure we do everything 100% properly i took her for a scan about a week ago and the vet thinks about six pups but said to go with 5 :) ive just been putting all the whelping equipment in one place and making an area for her to whelp in is this too early ? :rolleyes: just want to get things ready x how many lhasas have you breed and did you have any problems? hope u didnt:)

16. Blissful Dog Groomer

sorry just seen ur link im going to have a nosey at the thread now thankyou :thumbup:

17. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

We've only had the one litter, no problems although I was totally stressed out at the time, mainly because it was the first time but no doubt I'll be the same next year lol

We didn't have a full on whelping kit, Coco had a nice new puppy pen similar to this to give birth in and she was in the living room with us the whole time.
    [​IMG]
    we didn't have heat mats or lamps either although we did have a hot water bottle with a towel wrapped around it and placed that under the blanket, but it was first week Sept so still quite warm but I put the heating on at night. When the pups were a couple of days old, we changed the blankets for vet bed which was cut to fit the pen and underneath that had a waterproof sheet and lots of newspaper to absorb any pees and that was changed every day. When the pups were about 4 weeks old, we transferred them to a huge crate which pretty much filled the room but gave them a sleeping area and papered area although they were out with us quite a bit and being toilet trained from 5 weeks old.

I've been trying to find the video that I took of the first pup coming out but can't seem to find it just yet so will check my phone and camera.

They were weighed every day so I could see which ones were thriving and which ones needed extra time on the big back teats and used to rotate them. Apparently our pups were rather large lol, so while I was thinking our little Woody (pup 4) was small, he was actually about the right size, the others were just big especially Chunk (pup 5) who was the only one to gain weight by day 2 lol hence his nickname :p

18. medicare

medicare PetForums Newbie

ohh nice topic and suggest this idea's
    thanks to every one to given info...

#18 medicare, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice