Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Waiting for biopsy.. Anxious!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zayna, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

I went to the docs about 6 weeks ago as I felt like I had something stuck in my throat, he said he could feel a swelling there so referred me for an ultrasound which I had last week.
    My gp called me on the same day to say that they had found something on the ultrasound and that she would refer me for a biospy.. Referral went through the next day but I can't have the biopsy until December, that's with me going to a different hospital too.
    So now despite the fact I'm a bloody nurse and normally the one telling people to chill and not worry I'm now freaking out. At the same time I'm trying to play things down so as not to worry my husband so thought I would come on here and vent my worries to you lot.
    Anyone else been in this situation? How long did you have to wait for a biopsy? A month seems too long to me but I guess if those are the waiting times there isn't much I can do.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

That’s a long time to be worrying :(

I understand though that if they suspect it’s anything sinister it’s a 2 week target so maybe that’s a good sign?

My MIL law has had the same symptoms in her throat a few years ago which was diagnosed as a benign growth on the thyroid. Because of heart issues she wasn’t offered surgery but does take thyroxine.

I know from experience though that any waiting with these things is agony.

3. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

Mine has been classed as a u3 which means they don't know. U1 and 2 is definitely or likely not sinister and 4 and 5 is likely or definitely sinister.. So mine is in the middle. Still so worrying though =(
    Funnily enough the feeling of having something stuck passed after a week and throat feels normal now but gp said that it was likely nothing to do it the lump and that the finding is purely coincidental. Only symptoms I do have is extreme night sweats but this has been an ongoing thing

#3 Zayna, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    kimthecat likes this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Yes - as a nurse you should get to jump the queue imo ;)

Hope you get a call offering a cancellation next week.

Happy Paws2, lullabydream and Zayna like this.
  5. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

Haha I wish! It's useful working in a hospital as I have knowledgeable friends who can find things out for me etc but unfortunately I still have to wait.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

I would really push for a quicker referral; it’s unreasonable to expect you to wait for so long. So sorry you’re having to deal with this.

Happy Paws2, Lurcherlad and Zayna like this.
  7. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

I asked my gp if I could be seen any quicker and she said there wasn't much she could do about waiting times.. If I had opted to go to my local hospital I'd be waiting until Feb next year! So I've agreed to go further out, but December is still the soonest I can be seen =(

8. saartje

saartje Hallo

I am sorry to read this and hope that you are able to get an earlier referral.

9. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

2 weeks is normal for first unidentified anomoly anywhere
    1 week for recurrence
    Refer to NICE guideline and push for it

10. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

I did think this but had a chat with the department where I had the scan and they said because the lump isn't definitely cancerous it won't be marked as urgent.. And routine referrals are a minimum of 6 weeks wait. I'll be waiting for a month so I guess that's not too bad considering. To be fair to them they did ring appointments to try and squeeze me in earlier but the list is absolutely full. The joys of living in a very overpopulated town!

11. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this. The waiting is the worst.:(
    I had an ultrasound to check my neck glands and they saw lumps on my thyroid and due to the fact my sister had thyroid cancer , they did a biopsy then and there . The growths were non cancerous . My sister's thyroid was remove and she is ok .

Zayna and Lurcherlad like this.
  12. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

Aah that's good! When the lady was scanning me and saw the lump she said she wished she could just biopsy it there and then for me but needs to go through a referral process first. It is what it is.. Just be glad when it's done.. Hoping though whatever it is may shed some light on the ridiculous night sweats I've been having! I know that can be thyroid related, be great if they can sort that for me!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Did you mention to your GP about the night sweats ? maybe she could arrange for a blood test to see how your thyroid is functioning.
    Mine is normal so the growths hasn't affected it.

I thought they would only grade it after they'd done the biopsy. ?

#13 kimthecat, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Zayna and Lurcherlad like this.
  14. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

I've been to my gp a few times regarding night sweats as it's been ongoing for a while. They have run bloods and it's all been normal so they basically said its one of those things.
    I'm not sure entirely how it works with the grading system but as far as I know they will grade a 'lump' according to what they can see on the ultrasound. I suppose sometimes it's obvious that's its benign or cancerous.. Mine falls in the middle where they just don't know.
    I think the U is related to ultrasound.. So maybe an ultrasound grading system?

kimthecat likes this.
  15. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'm surprised you have to wait so long, hope you can get a cancellation.

Lurcherlad and Zayna like this.
  16. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Oh I see. I hope you don't have to wait too long for the biopsy.
    Night sweats are horrible , I get them but its due to hormone changes .

Zayna likes this.
  17. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

I think my night sweats are hormone related tbh as they seem to get worse around certain times of my cycle.
    Had a chat with a doctor friend at work who had a look at my scan report for me and reassured me that there is nothing that requires urgent attention, so as frustrating as it it having to wait it shouldn't cause me any harm. I'll just be glad when it's done!

Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  18. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

If it is your thyroid I had first biopsy done at a day clinic, the second time the Endocrinologist did it himself in his normal outpatient clinic. Good luck!

Zayna and kimthecat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice