Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Waiting for Bichon Frise Puppy

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sally1406, Jul 25, 2009.

1. sally1406

sally1406 PetForums Newbie

Hi
    We are waiting for our Bichon puppy to join us. We are husband, daughter 6 years, 2 goldfish and me - Sally.
    Our puppy Oscar is joining us in a couple of weeks.
    We are new to dog life. so any advice and tips warmly welcomed.
    Have been reading and researching but nothing beats advice from experienced owners.
    Sally

2. dipdog

dipdog PetForums VIP

hi and welcome xx

3. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Hiya and welcome :D

4. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

Hello and Welcome to PF! :D

5. Lindy Lou

Lindy Lou PetForums Junior

Hi and welcome, I too am new to this wonderful forum and the owner of my very first dog. It is the most wonderful place to get advice and the people are so kind and friendly. Good luck with Oscar. I'm sure like me you will wonder how could ever live without him.

6. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

Firstly, bichons are wonderful dogs, great choice! They are loving animals and love attention. I am sure your breeder will give you a sheet of basics ie grooming , feeding, settling in etc so you got the basics covered. They are very bright dogs, loyal dogs, but can be needy so be prepared to give them lots of attention. Bichons tend to have sensative tummies so dont gibe human food to them as in anything other than rice, chicken , cooked vegetables. I find red meat can make them constipated and uncomfortable. They can get skin alergies so watch what you bathe them in, mild puppy shampoo is the best idea, i find herbal shampoos irritate as do flea shampoo's. They need grooming everyday with a slicker brush while small , when there long fur and adult fur comes in you will need to check every day for any mats that may occur in the fur and deal with them, they should come out easy if teased out if you do this every day, if not then out come the scissors!! They have a thing called a mad half hour lol, they will run up and down the house in and out , they may stop then do it side to side lol, its them getting the excess energy out of themselves, i know of a 14 year old that still does this as though he is a puppy! Its real funny to watch. When a pup feed them 3 to 4 times a day with what ever the breeder has been feeding him on, if you want to change this then do ever so gradually as not to upset the stomach balance!! Only give dog treats as rewards and try to make them as chicken based as possible, some of my bichons like the pigs ears some not, they get them very rarely id rather give them bits of chicken as reward for sitting etc. I think i covered a little of what to expect lol, oh and to settle in, make sure you put them down to sleep where you want them to be for the rest of their lives or you could have probs later on for eg you let them sleep on your bed for a few days....then you decide you want your bed back and put them in teh kitchen , you will have one upset pup and it will be harder for him to settle in. Any probs or if you need any info just ask!

7. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

p.s forgot to add about soap powder and bedding, use a non bio on bedding , a baby one if you can and synthetic fibres could cause irritation also, try to stick to breathable fabrics if possible. Oh and i have three adult bichons (one is a rescue) and two pups :), a rescue cat and a rescue rabbit.

8. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to PF...hope you enjoy your stay...:D

9. MADCAT

MADCAT PetForums VIP

Welcome to PF xxx

10. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to PF :)

Look forward to seeing pics of Oscar when he comes home :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice