Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wainwright's Tuna Food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Karen Montague, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Karen Montague

Karen Montague PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone.

New member here

So I have two sister cats who are 10. One had to go to the vets as they had some dental issues - all fixed now. After a conversation with the vet came to the conclusion that that cat has IBS. As she ways did cowpat style number 2's.

Moved on to Wainwright's food as better quality. Both cats love the food so we got 32 pouches chicken and tuna. All of a sudden the tuna food seems to make them both had diarrhea and i have woken up two days in a row with one of them having been sick in the night.

Has anyone else noticed their cat having the same issues with that food?

Also, what do you feed your older babies thats good quality food. Currently about to try AVA.

Thanks in advance.

2. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

I’m not even sure tuna is good for cats?

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Karen Montague and welcome :)

Tuna should only be fed occasionally to cats because being a deep sea fish it contains high levels of heavy metals and run-off pesticides.

Wainwrights pouches for mature cats:

Composition: Chicken with Veg: Chicken (40%), Dried Peas (2%), Dried Carrots (2%), Minerals, Fish Oil (0.2%), Sunflower Oil, Cranberry Extract (0.01%), Yucca Extract (0.005%), Glucosamine (0.001%), Chondroitin (0.0003%). Tuna with Veg: Tuna (45%), Dried Peas (2%), Dried Carrots (2%), Minerals, Sunflower Oil, Fish Oil (0.2%), Cranberry Extract (0.01%), Yucca Extract (0.005%), Glucosamine (0.001%), Chondroitin (0.0003%)

Possibly it could be the peas and dried peas causing the loose stools as they increase bowel activity. Or the fish oil or sunflower oil as oils can cause loose stools.

You may find they get on better with the tins of Wainwrights which is a different recipe and a better food,

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/wainwrights-chicken-terrine-with-shreddeFofr the d-chicken-breast-adult-cat-food-85g

Two of my cats are 10 yrs old. One has food allergies and eats a varied rotated diet of lamb, pork, turkey, rabbit and kangaroo. The other cat has IBD and Diabetes and does well with Leonardo Pure chicken pouches as his main food (the tins are cheaper but not stocked by Zooplus at present ) and he also has some home cooked poached white fish, turkey and chicken.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/leonardo/wet_food/478465

For the moment I suggest taking both cats off cat food for a few days and feeding them home cooked chicken legs, thighs or drumsticks, without the bones but with the skin and with the cooking juices. Once each cat passes a formed stool transfer each cat slowly back to a cat food diet, starting with a teaspoonful alongside their chicken. Take a few days to complete the transfer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice