Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wainwrights trays gone off

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by stusawop, Jan 2, 2012.

1. stusawop

stusawop PetForums Junior

Bought a supply of Wainwrights and Nature's Harvest trays in PAH at the end of August and today when I opened a box of Wainwrights lamb flavour, some of the meat had turned black in four of the trays and what looked like a minute piece of blue mould was in there too. The seals were good and when I opened them there was no perceivable bad smell but I still disposed of them. The Best Before date is May 2012.....my confidence is shaken:shocked: The remaing box of turkey flavour looks ok.
    Did anybody ever notice that both the lamb and chicken flavours in Nature's Harvest have a distinctive but similar pleasant smell whereas in Wainwrights the lamb would have a different smell from turkey....not as attractive to the human nose?.......too much time on my hands:D

2. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

In a box of 12 trays I purchased recently of Wainwrights wasn't sealed properly I took it back to store and it was replaced no questions asked. Id definitely go in store and highlight this to them.

3. Staffybull

Staffybull PetForums Member

I have had loads of bad trays,all flavours and have always complained to PAH and eventually get compensated!

If you are ordering from the website rather than picking up in store,then the off trays are usually getting damaged during transit,heavy handed delivery people!

There packaging system is pretty bad also,i had ordered 4 boxes and they arrived in a box twice the size with no packaging for protection,so basically all the boxes where getting tumbled about and resulting in a lot of damaged trays!

Their customer service is terrible,but do complain to them,it may take a while for a reply if you have ordered from the website!

#3 Staffybull, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  4. henry

henry PetForums VIP

PAH do refund or exchange their own brand goods (which Wainwrights is), even without a receipt. I'd mention it to them and hopefully they'll give you some more, even if you had to throw yours away.

5. I love springers

I love springers PetForums Senior

I took a box of turkey wainwrights back to PAH because a few of the trays had gone really mouldy...

The manager was in store at the time and he took all the bad ones out of the box..Replaced them with trays he checked himself from another box he gave me the remainder of the 2nd box and then gave me another full checked box..

I ended up with 30 trays....:biggrin:

This is not the first time it has happened...when i have complained before the staff have said...It will be alright...well i would like to see them feed it to their dogs.....

Can you not retrieve them from the bin and take them back and complain...

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I can only get to Pets at Home a couple of times a year. I had a bad box and obviously did not keep it to take it back but they replaced it with no bother. I have also had a bad box of nature diet from a local shop. I think it is just a risk we have to take but so long as it gets replaced I dont see it as a problem.

7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Agree with all thats been said.

I've only ever had a couple of bad trays that have been exchanged no prob. Been given a complimentary box before too when I had probs getting customer service issues resolved.

I havent bought any for a while but it sounds as tho they have a few recent packing issues.

After the ND probs with their trays I've come to the conclusion that cans are for keeping, trays are for using and wont keep more than a months worth.

Wish they would shorten the BB dates to something more realistic.:(:D

8. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Never had a bad tray from the Blackpool P@H. They've never been off-colour or smelt funny...

12 Trays lasts us 1 month :D

9. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

See I don't get this, I've just taken mine back in if not happy and always had a refund/exchange straight away.

maybe its different if ordering online... :confused:

10. stusawop

stusawop PetForums Junior

I'm sure the PAH where I got them would offer replacements (very nice manageress ) but as it is 200 miles away and I won't be back there until April I decided to dump them.:D Just wanted to report on finding a couple of bad trays.:cryin:( I think if any of these " tray " foods have as much as a pinhole leak in the seal it could be enough to cause the meat to go bad so Mum2Heidi has it sussed! )

11. Staffybull

Staffybull PetForums Member

Just to clarify,i can only order online as PAH is a million miles from me,so in my situation i have no choice but to email or phone my complaint,but usually just email,as i cant be bothered chatting on phones!!

Obviously for you it must be easy to exchange or complain,as you must be able to visit there personally.

12. Jacquelinemary

Jacquelinemary PetForums Junior

You will find that this is actually a very common problem with foods like this that are cooked in the pack. Try reporting your complaint online if you can't get in to the shop. The staff will be well used to complaints about this type of product and MAY just credit you without seeing the product! perhaps you can attach a photo ? (stick a peg on your nose first ! )

ps --- the blue bit ? could it have been a piece of blue rubber glove ?

13. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I've always found any complaints or queries that can be handled in store are dealt with easily and satisfactorily.

If the staff cant help or you take the query via email or phone, then it's abysmal. Emails take forever to get a reply and it's usually v vague and doesnt answer the point in hand. Phone calls always have to be referred and you're forever chasing for a reply.

They really do need to make drastic improvements. Better training for their in store staff and a decent helpline that can help (like it used to)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice