Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wainwright's - Protexin

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by smskar, May 20, 2010.

1. smskar

smskar PetForums Member

Hello

I have posted a couple of threads on this forum regarding Millie's sensitive stomach and frequent bouts of diarrhoea over the last year. I decided to gradually change her from Skinners duck and rice to Wainwright's salmon and potato. She is not even on half and half at the moment so I can't tell if this has made any difference but I have also been adding Protexin Pro Fibre to her food (less than the recommended amount). I am pleased to say that although we are on holiday and her routine has been disrupted, she has had no digestive problems whatsoever. woohoo! :D Usually she has 2 bouts per week.

My partner thinks that I should not make any further changes to her food since she is happy but if it is fibre that she needs instead of adding Protexin that has soya, wheat and artificial beef flavouring, would it be better to switch to Wainwrights salmon and potato that is higher in carbs than Skinners? My only concern with this food is the amount I would have to feed, it seems a lot comparing to Burns or Skinners so would that mean that a lot would come through the other end?

I have very limited internet access so apologies if I am not able to respond to any replies.

Many thanks

Maria

2. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I used to feed mine the Wainwrights salmon & potato and now on Skinners salmon & rice, mainly down to price although they both went picky with the last 2 bags which sealed the deal to switch. I've found that i have to feed the same amount with both foods (both over recommended amounts) to maintain weight. Can't say there's much difference in output, perhaps slightly less with Skinners, but the Wainwrights seemed to produce consistently firmer poops and rarely any toxic farts where we seem to get the odd few with Skinners, but its not enough to suggest an upset system. I'm not sure if Wainwrights has higher carbs just Skinner uses rice instead of potato and the fibre content is the same at 3.5%.

Perhaps see how she gets on with the Wainwrights alone after a few weeks after switching, but there maybe be other fibre sources without the added extras that would be suitable instead of the protexin.

3. rona

rona Guest

I'm with your partner, you've had problems for so long, I'd stick with what works :D

4. smskar

smskar PetForums Member

Hi Rona

I shouldn't have let my partner read your comment, he was like "seeeeee, told you so!" :D

5. rona

rona Guest

:lol: :lol::lol:So how's it going and what did you do in the end?

6. smskar

smskar PetForums Member

7. smskar

smskar PetForums Member

I upped the Wainwright's a bit (one more kibble woohooo grand total: 5 per meal !!!). Don't shout, I hadn't read your reply :D Her poops are very firm, firmer than they have ever been.

To be honest, I don't know what to do. Logic says, stick with the current food regime as it works. But I currently feed her 2 different brands and I wouldn't want to continue doing that. Not that it is a major inconvenience, but if she has problems again I won't know which food she may be reacting to (if at all). I hope this makes sense :D

8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Why dont you continue with the initial plan (to put her onto Wainwrights) especially if you think there has been an improvement which could be down to the wainwrights and not the protexin but do it really slowly over a period of weeks so that there is v little change for her tum to deal with. Or if you would rather go back to skinners, then v gradually revert. Failing that if she is well, surely that's the most important and so what if she has to have 2 foods mixed for the time being.

The longer you can maintain a happy gut the better. I messed around with my pups food and it took a long time for her gut to get back to normal. Even tho she seemed ok, the least little thing would upset it so my advice would be to do everything you can to keep her gut happy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice