Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wainwrights food

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Hiafa123, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Hiafa123

Hiafa123 PetForums Senior

Right Rocco has put a hell of alot of weight on suddenly. He shouldd be 10lbs and her is more like 15/16 lbs:eek::eek:. I havnt got a clue why he has suddenly gone like this so as I have started my diet today:cryin: Roco has started his.

This is what he would be fed on a typical day

6.30am a small bowl of milk(semi skimmed) and rice krispies

12 noon either scrambled egg/tuna

4.30pm James Wellbeloved( mixed with a tiny bit of gravy cos he wont eat it dry or mixed with water)

He also gets a toast crust, Hiafa gets the rest and no more than 6 mini bones biscuits a day

Ive been to pets at home today and bought wainrights adult light bag and a tray of the wainrights. What Im after advice on is if I give Rocco less than a quarter of the tray and this at luch time and a tiny handful of the wairights complete at t time would that be ok. He would throw a hissy fit if he was down to 1 meal a day

2. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

How old is he?
    You don't need to go down to 1 meal a day, but for a healthy adult dog I think 4 meals is far too much.

Why does he get rice krispies and milk:confused::eek:

He sounds very overweight as you describe it :(

He needs a meal in the morning, I give mine dry in the morning and then wet in the evening if they have eaten their dry.

I wouldn't add gravy to his food as its very high in salt so not good for him.

Id give him kibble in the morning and wet in the evening, going on his recommended weight, not his weight ATM.

Good luck with the diet ;)

3. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

2 meals a day for an adult dog is fine. If you want to feed both wet and dry, you could feed his wet in the morning and his dry in the evening. As kate said, feed him for the weight you want him to be, not what he is now.

I would also query what you are feeding him now. Why is he fed rice krispies and milk? Gravy is not good (too salty) and toast isn't good either.

4. nicjane113

nicjane113 PetForums Member

How old is he?

My pup Nala is on wainwrights wet & dry food and started off on 4 meals per day when we first got her.
    She is 7 months now and is on 2 meals per day.
    She gets a 1/3 of a wainwrights wet tray split into 2 portions and has one in the morning and the other at night with a little bit of Wainwrights dry mixed into each.

She gets a handful of Wainwrights biscuits at lunch time too when my father in law goes in to let her out.

I would probably try cutting out any tit bits you are feeding him or switch them to healthier options. Nala loves a bit of raw carrot

5. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

for a dog thats 60% overweight you definitely do not need to be feeing him that many times a day
    he doesnt need scrambled eggs, or milk or rice krispies
    and bread is just pointless calories.
    if he doesnt like the JWB without gravy (bad for dogs) then change it to something he does like
    ie wainwrights

Feed him three times a day if need be, but split his normal dog food over those three meals.

6. astro2011

astro2011 PetForums VIP

Agreed with above ^

If he doesn't eat his kibble without gravy why not just mix his wet & dry together. I don't like kibble, but that's my personal opinion.

7. Hiafa123

Rocco is a 4yr old mini dachs(neutered). He gets rice krispies and milk as Hiafa (we were advised by our vet to give Hiafa something carb wise in the morning cos of her stomach and she throws pasta up so after much trial and alot of error we found this to be the one) gets it in the morning. Its less than a table spoon amount he gets. He doesnt get 4 meals a day, only breakfast, lunch and t time, and the kibble would be left, believe me I tried and he wont eat it, thats why he gets a tablespoon of gravy on it ( and it very watery gravy that he gets).

What Im wondering is ...is the quarter of the wet ok at one meal and a small amount of kibble at a another meal ok

8. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

this is fine as long as he doesn't get any added extras.

9. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

So Rocco doesn't have any problem? Its Haifa who needs the carbs in the morning, is that right?
    Id seriously stop giving Rocco rice krispies and just stick with dog food.
    Whatever the RDA is for wainwrights, you can give him half the amount of wet split between 2 meals [morning and evening] and the same with the kibble.
    Remember only half the RDA of each because he's getting wet and dry :)

PS Could you try Haifa on boiled/ steamed rice instead of rice krispies? This would be healthier for her. ;)

10. Hiafa123

hank you - I was confused as on the back of the wainrights sleeve it said quarter of a tray a day ( that didnt seem much to me)

Hell the Ive just opened the bag and this kibble is big stuff. He is getting 20 of these pellets ( thats how radical im being with him)

Please dont think Im giving him toast - I dont like crusts - Hiafa gets 3 CRUSTS and he gets 1 Crust. Its their guilty pleaseure:hand:

11. Hiafa123

12. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I feel as thought I should say sorry a this start of this post because I am going to be a bit harsh, but I'm not really sorry because being 60% overweight is terrible :(

Its obviously going to be harder with smaller dogs because they need to eat less, but I'm not kidding when I say my 32kg golden retriever would put weight on if he ate four times a day and the kind of meals you describe :nonod:

Diet is a crucial component of a dog's life and we owe it to them to provide the very best we can. Lets not forget if you are only feeding one meal of dog food a day your dogs wont even be getting the right vitamins and minerals they require.

Re carbs and Hiafa, dogs do not actually need carbohydrates as part of their diet. What problems does Hiafa have if he/she doesn't have carbs in the morning?

There are times I feed my golden retriever three times a day, but I justify that because he is on steroids relatively regularly which make him notoriously greedy. He is less greedy if I give him three smaller meals compared with two larger ones, but our other 'normal' dog eats just twice a day all the time.

I wouldn't feed kibble if he hates it that much. Wainwrights/Naturediet type foods you can get for nearly 70p a tray ish. My golden and my labrador have been surviving on one tray of wet food each per day of late, so I can't think for a dog of 16lbs (target weight 10lbs you say?) would need to eat anywhere near that. My two weigh roughly 30kgs each (66lbs) and the most I have ever fed them when in good health is two trays of wet a day.

Dogs don't need crusts or cereal. They need the appropriate amount of vitamins and minerals which we are lucky to have access to as conveniently as we do in the likes of commercial dog food. Diet can have a huge impact on a dog's life, please re evaluate your dog's eating habits and structure them into something that gives them the best chance of a healthy life :)

13. Hiafa123

First can I say I DO NOT FEED ROCCO 4 TIMES A DAY - Kate 7590 stated that in her reply

As I said originally the weight has gone on very suddenly with no change in his diet, which has worried me. In 4 and a half years he has never had a problem and this has just been rapid. Anyways I been to the vets tonight and had him weighed properly and he is 3 and a half pounds over weight. After a discussion with the vet Rocco is going in on Wednesday for thyroid tests. They are also going to check that his stomach ulcer is ok.

Thanks everyone for your replies:D

14. GoldenShadow

1) Don't shout at me

2) I count four meals worth listed in your OP here:

3) Regardless of what Rocco weighs, even if he was of a normal weight I would be concerned with what he is eating. Just because I'm not overweight doesn't mean I have a good diet etc, its about content too.

Hopefully there is nothing seriously wrong with him and it an be sorted out via diet changes. Its good you are addressing it :)

15. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Hi Goldenshadow. Which wets do you find your two like best? Are they having all wet now then or a mixture of raw and wet? Hope Rupert is doing well.:)

16. GoldenShadow

Hi Henry, he's not great right now but could be worse, on steroids again right now :(

Being quite honest, my two don't have a favourite :rolleyes: They're that greedy they eat and seem to enjoy everything. Milo is on part raw part commercial for convenience (he's my Mum's dog really so her choice). Rupert is meant to have a completely raw diet but with all the tablets he is on at the minute I'm giving him Naturediet for breakfast to hide them and he scoffs them down no probs ;) I was hiding his meds in peanut butter but he's on that many now (eight in the morning) that I'd be getting through 1/3 jar a day which just can't be good despite low salt/sugar etc.

This is my first real experience of ND and I have to say I am loving it. I wish the trays were recyclable though and I did have one blown packet in my two boxes. Forthglade annoyed me so much in terms of getting into the packets as did Wainwrights, Nature's Harvest was more doable but also more expensive.

I much prefer the consistency of ND and the range of flavours than any of the other wets, I think I will keep at least a box somewhere in the house. Handy for the days I forget to get something out the freezer too ;)

Henry making any headway through your food stash yet?!

17. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Hi! Sorry to hear Rupert is still not much better but I bet he's enjoying that ND. Henry loves it, I prefer it out of all the wets, tbh. Yep, we're getting through the stash now. Feeding ND on its own and the NM tims with just a smidgen of kibble to make up the RDA. Must say, I'm only using about 40g kibble per day at most now. Mainly wet food now and Henry's doing well.

Keep an eye out on E-Bay for the ND!! I got a bargain recently - 10 boxes for £50 (with a year's BB date on them too!) :D

18. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

Danny's on a diet, and he literally only gets about 15 pieces of kibble spread out between two meals, sometimes with a tablespoon of meat.

19. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Hope Rupert picks up again soon;)

Heidi is on ND now and going great guns. Lets hope they keep the packaging in order:D

20. Tillystar

Tillystar PetForums VIP

Hi nicjane113 im currently feeding wainwrights trays with royal canin. i have a very fussy crossbreed she weights bout 8kg but not a big eater. I'm feedin 1/3 tray per day with dry but not sure how much dry to feed?? im wanting to put her on ww dry after, how much does ur dog weigh n how much do u feed?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice