Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wainrights wet food - advice needed please

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by silverbeetle, Jun 2, 2010.

1. silverbeetle

silverbeetle PetForums Member

I wondered if anyone feeds their dogs Wainrights wet food trays.

I had been feeding my westie puppy on Naturediet but was unhappy with the appearance & smell of some of the trays so have gradually switched over to Wainrights trays. I am really happy with the look & smell of these and he really enjoys them.

Just one problem with it - the feeding guide. Can this be correct? Freddie was on one whole tray of Naturediet per day. But the feeding guide on the Wainrights recommends only 1/2 to 1/3 of a tray per day for a dog of Freddies weight. This does not seem enough. He seemed to be hungry & scavenging for extra food so I have started giving him 2/3rds of a tray.

Can anyone advise how much of the Wainrights they give their dog each day - I don't want him to be hungry but I don't want to feed him too much either. He is fed purely on the wet food with no added dry food as he refuses to eat dry food & will pick it out of his bowl.

He is almost 1 year old and weighs 9 kilos.

Many thanks for any help

2. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

I feed entirely wainwrights wet food after moving across from natures harvest. I feed one tray a day split into two meals for a 2 year old BC bitch, she weighs about 14kg. In addition she also gets treats when she is training.

3. Megs Mum

Megs Mum PetForums Junior

I have a jack russell x and a patterdale staffy cross and between them they have 1 tray a day. the jack russell weighs around 6 kgs and she has just under half a day. just meat in the morning and meat and a mixer in the evening. i found that feeding what was recommended for gracie the patterdale mix around 16kg was getting her fat, so cut it down.

4. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

The feeding guide is just that, a guide, it's not exact for every dog. If you think he's hungry give him a little bit extra and keep an eye on his weight and poos. If it's too rich and he's having too much he'll be loose. If he puts weight on then obviously he's being over fed.

I've noticed some dogs do scavange of certain foods, mine did on Orijen. I think sometimes it's a case of the food just not suiting the dog for one reason or another.

Ryan8985 likes this.
  5. Maz&Oozy

Maz&Oozy PetForums Member

my lads on the WainWrights Turkey and Rice and he is meant to have bout 1/2 per day as hes just about 6 months and he would prob eat more co he seems a piglet lol and he loves it, but he's putting on weight fine with amount recommended. I also give him the matching kibble as training treats and also occ some veg steamed, green beans, sweet potato, which also pop in fridge for training treat next day.

6. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Everyone I have spoken to says the feeding guide for Wainwrights isn't what they expect and none of the ones I spoke to when contemplating this food went by it.

I feed Nature's Harvest which is similar but with glucosamine/chondroitin instead of the chiccory root etc and I was more convinced by their company than I was Pets@Home :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice