Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vomiting

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Name_XXX, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Name_XXX

Name_XXX PetForums Newbie

Hi! I have a 2-year old cairn terrier Ellie, a girl, who has been sterilized at age 1 year.

Around 2 months ago, she started vomiting. It occurs typically not each day, in the early afternoon, a few hours after eating. It includes either only partially digested food or bile. Most times, there is one episode of vomiting per day, however, sometimes she vomits twice - the bile vomit follows by the food vomit.

While visiting a vet hospital, a lot of tests have been made: inflammation markers of intestines, liver function, ultrasound, blood samples, feces test on parasites and different bacteria. Everything was fine. Finally, on Friday a gastroscopy has been made. It has shown some pathological tissue area in the stomach and some spots on a different part of the stomach (most likely, due to helicobacter). The vet has said that most likely this is not cancer (initially she said for sure, then she said 95%), but we should wait for the results of the biopsy test.

Following the recommendations of the vet, we keep her currently on hypoallergenic food. Once started keeping her on this food (a month ago), she has gained an extra 0.5 kg of weight. Her appetite and the level of activity are fine.

In the meantime, I would like you to ask: have you faced such a problem with your dog? What is was, in the result?

Thanks!

#1 Name_XXX, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  2. Name_XXX

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a video showing the pathological tissue because of issues with pre-moderation at this site.

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

How often are you feeding her, and how long after food is she vomiting?

Has she stopped vomiting on the new food?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Name_XXX

Before changing the food to hypoallergenic (which occurred a month ago), we have fed her two times per day. After changing the food, we started feeding her three/four times per day. After changing the food, she did not vomit for a week. She vomits a few hours later after eating (two to eight, maybe).

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

So she had vomited on the new food, and whilst being fed more meals?

I was thinking along the limes of bilious vomiting syndrome (hunger pukes) which seems pretty common these days. My own dog has to be fed three times a day and he has to have a good snack before bed.

6. Name_XXX

She started vomiting on the old food, and after changing to the new food she continued vomiting.

But what about findings of the pathological tissue in the stomach? It looks like an atrophied wall with inflammation in a certain area.

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Eating little and often should help.
    Slippery elm (or better still, Dorwest tree barks powder) makes a mucilage-like coating that can help with intestinal irritation. I'd give Dorwest a ring and discuss it with your vet. The only possible contra-indications I've ever heard is that long-term use might theoretically reduce nutrient uptake (because of the coating) but never heard of it happening in practice.
    Slippery elm is also useful for humans - stomach upsets, morning after the night before.
    Might she be producing too much stomach acid?

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If she has helicobacter has she been put on the relevant course of antibiotics - usually 2 types at the same time - to clear it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice