Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Volunteer in the Dominican Republic

Discussion in 'Animal Jobs & Working with Animals' started by Emmaxjo28, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emmaxjo28

Emmaxjo28 PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone!

I'm Emma Jo, 21 years old, and a college student. I'm originally from Northern California but I have just recently moved to the Dominican Republic to volunteer along with taking online classes. I was first immersed into this beautiful country and culture in March of 2016, when I travelled to the Dominican Republic. I stayed with GBI Crossroads, a non-profit, to begin my volunteer work. For my first two trips I helped people in need, on my third trip my focus began to shift towards animals. Every time we went into the local villages, I saw so many dogs and cats that were emaciated, covered in fleas and ticks, injured, etc. Due to seeing all of these animals in need, it has increased my passion for animal welfare tenfold. Ever since my first trip down here I have wanted to adopt a dog and/or cat, but I was never able to due to being a full time student and not working. In June 2017, I found this puppy in the local village, Saman, and I immediately had a connection with her. She was malnourished, dehydrated, and she lived and slept in garbage. I was able to work it out with my family and the non-profit that I'm staying with and I was finally able to adopt a dog from this beautiful country. Her name is Lola Saman and she is the reason why I have started this fundraiser. I want dogs and cats just like her to have the opportunity to live a happy, healthy life. Make a trip to the Dominican Republic to enhance and promote animal welfare. Whether that's doing a feeding program that is exclusively for animals, purchasing food and/or water, taking animals to our vet to aid in population control (spaying or neutering), getting animals the much needed vaccinations, treating injuries, or by simply buying toys and beds.

Thank you all!
    Emma Jo

Attached Files:

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Well done for getting involved - the animals certainly do need people like you to help them out. :)

Things are slowly beginning to change and the Government have started to introduce some welfare standards, but there is a long way to go.

As you know, education is key as neutering, worming, vet care, etc. are not automatically something the local people will organise.

There are also a number of sanctuaries on the Island.

Fundraising is obviously needed, however, I suspect people are reluctant to hand over money unless they feel assured it will be used effectively or for the purpose intended. I would be.

Raising awareness in the tourist areas with opportunities to donate easily would be a good idea.

My sister helps the sanctuary and vet local to her and they are shortly to arrange a neutering programme in her area (and has a houseful of cats and dogs herself! ;)). I was there in May and going back in January and it is quite heart wrenching to see the low standard of welfare that some animals have :(

3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Submissive Servant to My Lord and Lady Mutts
    Staff Member

Hello Jo, and welcome to Petforums.

It's honourable of you to want to help these animals, and I hope you stick around and share pics and stories of your puppy but I'm sorry I have to close this thread for moderation purposes.

:Locktopic

StormyThai likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice