Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vivarium Temp issues

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Jeskarose, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Jeskarose

Jeskarose PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I’m very new to this and purchased a Vivarium kit online for a ball python I’ve set everything up and it came with a heat mat that’s 7watts. I’ve had that in for a few days and my warm side won’t go above 28 degrees. I went and got a stronger mat (12w) and had the same results. With a lot of the research I’ve done and people contacted they’ve said heat mats are okay. It’s taking up just under half the viv. My thermostat that the mat it’s linked to hits 35, but the thermometer doesn’t go past 28.

However I’m now thinking maybe it’ll be a good idea to get a lamp of some sort. I have a LED light but of course they aren’t a heat source. If so how do I go about this. I’m amusing it would be the lamp and light I turn off at night do I keep the heat mat on I’ve seen mixed on this also and getting confused. As the viv is wooden any recommendations of how to get a light in this would be great. And what sort of watt would I need. Also assuming it would be a good idea to get another thermostat for the light source.

As I’m trying to figure out the best way to set up my viv I have not yet got a snake in there, I’m not planning on purchasing her until I understand exactly what I’m doing for her and have all conditions right. I just want to make sure everything is perfect for her.

I understand that dials can sometime be inaccurate and ordered a thermometer heat gun to test locations more accurately.

2. Snakesox

Snakesox PetForums Newbie

Most likely your mat is heating up more than the thermometer says, a heat gun is much more accurate so see how it goes when that arrives and if it’s still not working, try moving the probe about then waiting half an hour then repeat till you come up with better temps.
    Ball pythons need belly heat so I wouldn’t bother with a heat lamp too, if you wanted you could have a low watt uv bulb on 12hr cycle, but room light will probably be enough. Everyone has their own ideas on this though.
    Also I assume your heat pad is inside the viv and not under the wood?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice