Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vitamins?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by K1nS, Apr 19, 2011.

1. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

Hiya, was wondering if anyone gives their cats any vitamins or suppliments? If so, any good recomendations? :rolleyes:

2. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I think that if a cat is on a decent, quality diet there shouldn't really be a need for supplements as a rule.

I give Merson Echinacea roughly about 2 -3 times a week due to his immune system having been compromised by cat flu when he was a kitten. Oscar doesn't get anything at all right now but he might require something to top him up as he get older.

I'm sure Hobbs will let you know if there is something worth giving to the cats on a regular, but occasional, basis as she is the diet dude around here. :D

3. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

I don't know if it counts as a supplement, (but it contains a lot of B vitamins which is good for their coat) but I sprinkle a pinch of brewers yeast on my cats food once a day, to repel fleas.

Also a couple of drops of fish oil once or twice a week for fatty acids, which I think is good for joints as well as coat condition.

But yes, let's hope Hobbs comes along to give a bit more information! :D

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Agree with the others. If you feed good quality food then you shouldn't need to add any vitamin supplements to it on a regular basis.

Having said that, like Chez87, I sprinkle some brewer's yeast on to my cat's food to help with keeping the fleas away. However, it contains a whack of Vit Bs that apparently cats have an increased need of (read that somewhere but cannot remember where)

The they also get some salmon oil a couple of times a week to give them some fatty acids (omega 3s and 6), which is often not included in wet food formulations.

And that's it. Well, I have got a cat multi-vitamin treat in my first aid box, which gets used when they appear to be under the weather a bit but it isn't something I would use regularly.

Hope that helps

5. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

I add something called "Beefee Powder" to their wet food when I remember. I use it to aid the recovery of sick feral cats and poorly kittens. Also a good supplement for pregnant or lactating cats, apparently. Also used for horses, dogs, monkeys and reptiles, believe it or not.

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Is that beef fat powder?

7. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

No it is a vitamin/mineral supplement in a powder form.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice