Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vitamin Supplements?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Liz Foster, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Liz Foster

Liz Foster PetForums Newbie

Hi All

Hope everybody is okay.

I have started feeding my Staffie Nelson on home cooked food, brown rice, chicken, vegetables and pasta. Do I need to give him a vitamin/mineral supplement as well and where would I get such a thing?

Regards

Liz

2. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

Hiya i Give my girls glucasamine on the advice of my vet because they are labs and will be pre disposed to arthrisis ect i got mine from an online supplements place in guernsey called Simply Supplements its much cheaper than buying animal versions and is exactly the same i got 180 tablets 1000 mg for £8.99 at the moment everything is on buy one get one free so ive got 360 in total . There are a few people on here who feed there dogs the Barf diet wich is based on feeding raw meat with added supplements it might be worth seeing who gives there dogs what . I guess if you research it you could get a list of added things to compement the way you feed i think a good one is bone meal for calcium think it comes in powder form you sprinkle it on to the food .

3. Liz Foster

Hi Andrea, thank you very much for the info. I will wait and see what other responses I get. Nelson has Seraquin tablets which contain glucosamine as he suffers from stiff joints when he has been exercising a lot. I just want to do the very best for him and would hate to think that through my ignorance, he was lacking something crucial in his diet. You know what I mean.

Cheers

Liz

4. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

Know what you mean my girls are the world to us sad isnt it lol . if your boy is painfull with his joints you could try green lipped muscle comes as a tablet its full of good things for there joints like glucasamine but it has a mild natural pain killing effect i might give it a go on Daisy as she has trouble with her front elbow my vet said its a good one to use a lot of people she recomends it too say there dogs are great on it . have a look at that web sit though its really cheap .

5. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

Know what you mean my girls are the world to us sad isnt it lol . if your boy is painfull with his joints you could try green lipped muscle comes as a tablet its full of good things for there joints like glucasamine but it has a mild natural pain killing effect i might give it a go on Daisy as she has trouble with her front elbow my vet said its a good one to use a lot of people she recomends it too say there dogs are great on it . have a look at that web site though its really cheap .

6. Liz Foster

Thanks Andrea - its nice to know there are other people out there who are as soft on their beloved dogs as I am on mine. Where would we be without them?:)

Liz

7. BlackCat

BlackCat PetForums Member

Hi,

Does Nelson have any allergies? If not, it would be worth changing his protein source every so often so he's not just having chicken all the time. Lamb, white fish and turkey are other varieties you could use as well as from different cuts i.e muscle, liver etc.

Like Andrea said calcium is one of the nutrients that can sometimes lack in a homemade diet, unless you follow the BARF one (which some owners prefer to go for, others not so much-personal choice). As an overall supplement PetTabs are good for maintenence.

8. Liz Foster

Thank you Blackcat - guess I'll be going shopping on Saturday for some more goodies.

Liz

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice