Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vitamin B12?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by rona, Dec 19, 2020.

1. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Has anyone hear ever been prescribed tablet or powder form B12 for their dog?

Muddy used to have injections, but I wondered if it's ever worth suggesting that someone try oral B12.

2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I don't know about in dogs specifically, but in humans whether it's oral or IM injection depends on two things: 1) the cause of the deficiency and 2) how deficient they are. IM injection is the only option if the deficiency is severe, as there are irreversible neurological effects, so you basically need to whack it in in as quickly and as bio-availably as possible. Given that vitamin/ mineral deficiencies are often slow to be diagnosed (mild symptoms are easy to ignore/ miss/ attribute to other things), it wouldn't surprise me if the severity at diagnosis is why oral isn't really done in dogs.

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It can be injections when there isn't a deficient amount in the food, but the body is unable to absorb and process it such as when collies have IGS (genetic fault). There should be enough B12 in normal dog foods, unless they are vegan ones and I expect those would have it added in the formula.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice