Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Visits to vets

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by goulash, Aug 1, 2009.

1. goulash

goulash PetForums Junior

Dear collective wisdom of this wonderful Forum...

In a post elsewhere, I mentioned that one of our two has been to the vets for a bladder op. She came back this afternoon, and is doing just fine. She's undoubtedly the shyest and most anxious cat I've ever come across, which has made the whole ordeal worse - well, for us at least! ;)

Question is: do cats KNOW that they're being bundled into a box, into a car, being injected, etc - for their own good, ultimately? Maybe not before any treatment, but once they're back and (hopefully) feeling healthier? Do they realise, somehow, on some level, why we "owners" have put them through it? (Even if they're scowling at us)

[Let me know if this thread should be on another forum, folks]

2. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Hmmm this is hard one but I think not.

I don't think they understand the jags and poking and prodding but I however believe that treats make up for this upset and it is soon forgotten.

My thoughts only. :)

3. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I remember the cardboard boxes that we used to take cats to vets in and all we could hear inside was growling and trying to escape. Now thankgod we have the open front plastic ones so they can just glare at everybody :)

4. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I don't think my cat understands one bit.

Every time she goes for her booster injection she ignores me for a couple of hours to show me that she's annoyed at me.

However lots and lots of tasty treats always win her round in the end!

5. goulash

goulash PetForums Junior

Yeah, I suppose I want to believe that they all understand why it happens. But of course they don't, and deep down I know that.

I'd love to make up for it with treats, too. Genuinely, though, my two NEVER go for the treats I offer them. You name it, I've tried it: snacks, dried pieces of meat/fish/poultry, cat milk, fish - tinned/fresh/from the chippy, cheese... So, I'm a bit stuck. On the other hand, they do get huuuuge amounts of tlc!

6. dootgirl

dootgirl PetForums Junior

I had exactly these thoughts last week. Lottie went to the vet because she'd lost a canine tooth, and the vet wanted to put her to sleep to see if the root was in there. As it turned out there was no root so I felt as though it was for nothing! Lottie was seriously distressed, hissing spitting etc. and that is not like her at all! It broke my heart to put her in the box and then leave her!
    I honestly think that she was very cross and angry with me but was so happy to get home that her angry feelings didn't last long. I think if your cat was feeling poorly, and the vet made an immediate improvement to this, then they would definitely realise it was for their own good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice