Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Visited Manchester Cat Cafe

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by urbantigers, Apr 3, 2017.

1. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

It was my birthday at the weekend so as a birthday treat I went to Manchester's cat cafe with a couple of friends. I had a great time. I'll admit that when cat cafes first became popular in this country I was a bit unsure whether they were a good idea and concerned about cat welfare. However, I have heard positive feedback from those who have visited other cafés so have been keen to visit my local cafe since it opened last year.

It was wonderful with lots of cat trees, shelves, beds and places to hide at all levels plus a ceiling high walkway which goes around most of the cafe. There's also a cat flap leading to a private area so the cats don't have to be in the cafe if they dont want to. There are also rules such as not picking up cats, not bothering them when they're sleeping and not using flash photography. There is always someone on the floor keeping an eye on things and making sure the cats are ok. I was pleased to see they where enforced when necessary. Children under 10 are not allowed in during normal opening times but there was a child not much more than that who was waving a toy at a cat in a bed who was trying to sleep. He wasn't touching the cat but his parent was making only a half hearted attempt to dissuade him so a member of staff went over and politely asked him to leave the cat alone.

When we got there we had to go to the reception area and they went through the rules as well as giving us a card with them on. We had to sign to say that we agreed to abide by them. My friends had to either take their shoes off or wear shoe covers. I was on my mobility scooter and there was no problem taking that in - it was fully accessible. We then went through another door into a short corridor with another door at the end. These are security doors and one can only be opened when the other was shut.

I will definitely go again. Enough waffle - here are some pics. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. urbantigers

My scooter was extremely popular

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

3. urbantigers

Somebody was a right nosey parker

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

4. urbantigers

The little Siamese here is called Stanley - he is quite a character and very vocal. They had to keep removing him from the kitchen, lol (they don't prepare any food on the premises)

The red Maine coon is Aslan.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

5. urbantigers

A couple more - sorry nit good quality. Stanley loved the high walkway

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

6. urbantigers

Sorry just realised I've posted this in the wrong section. Can a mod move it to cat chat?? @lymorelynn ? @SusieRainbow

7. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Done :)
    Love your photos and it sounds as if you had a great time :Cat
    There is a cat cafe that's just opened in Bournemouth - I'm in two minds about going in. They charge £5 and then drinks etc on top of that. I have only seen one cat through the window but he/she does look very relaxed (usually fast asleep in a bed right by the window)

urbantigers likes this.
  8. urbantigers

Thanks

The Manchester one charges £12 an hour which includes unlimited drinks.

Joy84 and leashedForLife like this.
  9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Very beautiful cats @urbantigers - I was surprised to see so many longhaired/pedigrees. Do the cats belong to a Rescue, or the owner of the Manchester cafe? I believe in some cat cafes the cats are available for rehoming.

urbantigers and huckybuck like this.
  10. urbantigers

As far as I know, all (or most) of the cats are pedigrees (owned by cafe owner I assume as they live there 24 hours a day) and chosen because they are breeds known for being sociable, enjoying a high degree of interaction with people and considered suitable for a cafe environment. This would preclude most rescue cats but not impossible (I know there are some cafes that have rescue cats available for rehoming so assume it can work if you choose the right cats). They say they are working with a local rescue but I don't know whether that's with the aim of introducing cats or just offering financial help to the rescue. I'd love to go back and chat to staff a bit more about the cafe. The cats were all gorgeous and showed no signs of being stressed by the other cats. They've got a blind snow Bengal called Snowy and tell everyone when they enter about him and to let him sniff you before touching him

11. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Presume you didn't find a kitty in your bag when you got home. :D

sandy-cat and urbantigers like this.
  12. urbantigers

Well I tried, but little Stanley was the only one small enough and he's a chatty Meezer so gave the game away. Next time!

13. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Lovely pics, gorgeous cats. Your scooter looks like a great bit of cat snatching kit :cool: how many do you reckon you could get out in one go? ;)

14. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Fabulous photos and nice to see all the cats looking so relaxed and in such a stimulating environment too.

urbantigers likes this.
  15. popcornsmum

popcornsmum Popcorn relaxing!

Oh wow!!! Looks like you had a fab time! That's the high shelves and walkway we really want for Popcorn! The kitties are all so beautiful! I'd have loved a cuddle with them!

urbantigers likes this.
  16. Brambles the cat

Brambles the cat PetForums Senior

Im starting a cat cafe it will cost £1 entry and free coffee and you can play or stroke brambles as much as anyone wants .only one problem ive only got one cat .lol .plus i will throw in a cheese butty and a magnum icecream .you cant get better than that .

17. urbantigers

I reckon I could get about 5 out in one go, 6 if 1 was prepared to perch on the handlebars :confused: I'd need one of them rain capes to cover everyone!

Great, do I need to book?

18. Brambles the cat

Everyone is welcome no booking needed. brambles cant wait to be stroked .lol.and ive got the salad cream ready for the cheese butty

huckybuck and leashedForLife like this.
  19. Brambles the cat

Look how happy she is .lol

Attached Files:

urbantigers and huckybuck like this.
  20. leashedForLife

QUOTE, Brambles the cat:

Look how happy she is. LOL

/QUOTE
    my WORD! - I can hear her purring from across the pond! :p --- I'll be there, just as soon as i learn to walk on water. :rolleyes:
    I can't afford air-fare, & a cruise would be ridiculously out of reach; plan for a miracle.

huckybuck and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice