Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Visited an appalling breeder today

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by BattleKat, May 8, 2010.

1. BattleKat

BattleKat PetForums Senior

I found a lady on preloved selling french lops and I've been desperate for one. Since it was close to home and only £30 a kit I decided to go and take a look.

It was terrible.

All the pregnant females were in tiny hutches, I'd say 2.5ft max, A few with babies were in runs on the concrete floor with no bed area or bedding!
    There were 6 3 month old french lop babies in a 4x4 playhouse which, being inside this barn, had barely any light inside.
    There were 2 french lops (obviously her favourites) that had the run of the whole barn, it was huge and there were unwashed bottles for milking the lambs lying around as well as tonnes of things the buns could have hurt themselves on - the floor had bunny poo all over it.
    It clearly hadn't been cleaned out in over a week (she claimed she had got all ready for cleanout before we came over but there were no signs of any cleaning stuff)
    The water bottles were so dark green I couldn't tell if they had water in
    There were no food bowls or toys in any, only beds in a few and not even bedding in the rest.
    I only saw filthy bedding hay, nothing edible.
    she told me not to bother getting them vaccinated when I asked if she had them done before they went to their new homes
    She suggested I just take one home and dump it in with my two girls as early as possible when I asked if she could keep him until old enough to neuter. She also told me it was a waste of money to neuter him if the girls are spayed.
    I went to stroke a black french lop in with another white one in a tiny indoor cage and it immediately backed into the corner of the cage and put its head down - it also had a dodgy looking eye and the impression I got was that the other rabbit was bulling it.
    Lastly, and I know this is silly she said to me "If I see something I want, I buy it." referring to the animals. Her whole attitude was just that they were objects she wanted and could make some money out it, clearly no love for the rabbits themselves.

I'm phoning the rspca on monday. I wanted to take him home with me right then but I know I can't support this woman. My heart is breaking for those poor rabbits.

2. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

awww you were right not to bring any home, that would just incourage her, hopefully the rspca will rescue them all and they will get looked after and find new homes soon!! x

3. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

i'm pretty sure the rspca helpline is 24 7, you need to either say they had no food or water or were at risk from other animals or they wont really bother. :mad: I wouldve told her she was disgusting

4. metame

metame PetForums VIP

poor buns :(

5. BattleKat

Thanks. They may well have had no water. Users on another forum suggested I phone environmental health if the RSPCA can't do anything so I'll probably do that too.

6. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

that's awful. i must say though that no food bowls in hutches doesn't necessarily mean they aren't fed. my rabbits are fed in the morning and in the evening, and their food bowl is not left in their hutch. so she may well be feeding them. she must be, how else would they stay alive and breed? they may be fed crap food, but they must be getting some nutrients.

her views about neutering seem to be old fashioned (no point neutering a buck when the does are spayed). It's perfectly reasonable to have that view but i think they don't realise the health issues that are associated to not being castrated.

7. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

I would phone the rspca cruelty line today...it's a 24/7 line and they will go out any time given the correct info....i personally think the rspca are crap but if you tell them there's no food or water and the buns are living in their own crap they will go out because they have no choice.....hell tell them you saw a rat or something....they dont know it's a lie but it'll make them go out.....there's no way they'll leave any animal there in those conditions....if it wasn't as bad as that they'd give her a week to clean it but the rabbits are in immediate danger so they won't
    Good luck
    Clare xx

8. BattleKat

she told me I should have got the buck and neutered him first and then not neutered the females so obviously she didn't understand the risk to does. I know there's nothing wrong with the attitude per say but she seemed to know nothing about the animals.
    I also forgot to mention that her oldest rabbit lived to 6 years when I said I didn't think neutering was a huge cost when spread over a possible 10 years of life.

I didn't mean they don't get fed when I mentioned no food bowls, just that the food seemed to have been thrown in with all the muck on the floor which I thought was disgusting.

I'm just looking up her details and then I'll phone the rspca.

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You could try reporting her to your local council too (environmental health may be interested if the conditions are squalid) as she may need to have a licence. Also the taxman if she is selling and not declaring her earnings from breeding.

Found this on Rabbit Rehome - What's Involved in Breeding Rabbits

10. myzoo

myzoo PetForums Senior

i totally understand i had the same happen to me when buying my rats charlie and lola of a private breeder he had them all in a tiny box room in undersized makeshift gages with no water or food he had in a tiny box room wild rats dumbos top eared hairless dwarf hamsters syrian hamsters parrots kittens puppys and the babies were taken away from the parents far too early i still bought charlie and lola but after talking to people on the forums they advised me to report him and i did and it turned out to be the best desision i ever made he had his animals taken into the care of the rspca once the rspca had them i offered to take a few of the rats i took 2 females one died :cryin:eek:nly after a few days from breathing problems due to him using wrong bedding if any ect the other fidget got fatter and fatter untill she had a lovely litter of :)13 kittens one was born with only one eye due to him interbreeding 4 were born with a different coat.well anyway the best thing you can do is report it and ask the rspca to let you know the outcome and if you really want one of them bunnies ask them if they seize the animals you would love to adopt one or however many you like it is for the best i suggest you report her asap so they dont have to suffer for too much longer it really :mad:frustrates me when people see animals as money making objects its so so wrong that there are such heartless shallow minded greedy people out there GO FOR IT REPORT HER good luck and i would love to know what happens to these lovely little bunnies they deserve better :)if you would like to know any more about how best to go about reporting her please pm me iam happy to help:)

11. frags

frags PetForums VIP

Can you pm me the details of this person please, i wont tell others i just want to see if i know who it is so i can make sure i NEVER buy from them! Sounds terrible!!

I dont have bowls in my breeder hutches as the does try to cover the babies with them lol

12. BattleKat

would it be the worst thing in the world if I paid her for him? I don't want to give her money to keep doing what she's doing but I really want him and I'm worried someone else will buy him and take him to some crappy home and that the RSPCA won't be able to do anything.

I phoned again yesterday with some more precise directions and the guy I spoke to on the first day hadn't even made a record of anything! The lady said it's gone to head office now and they should get back to me within 4 weeks.

13. frags

frags PetForums VIP

No it wouldnt, if anything you will be saving him from this horrible hell home!! Go get your little man x

14. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

i agree. he didn't ask to be born in this world, and he needs a loving home. maybe i'm a soft touch, but i would get him but keep badgering at the RSPCA to get something done about that breeder.

15. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

go in under cover and take some pictures while ur there, then post them around the neighbour hood i think that would be the worst way to name and shame them

16. Lumpy

Lumpy PetForums Senior

Yes, go and rescue the poor little bun (although I know many would disagree). He deserves a loving home and you are doing all you can to try and ensure other buns don't have to suffer as he has.

17. BattleKat

I just phoned the rspca to see what size accommodation they'd recommend for the trio and they said if they do take him in they won't be able to home him with my two girls as they are insistent that a trio will fight unless very young.

I've seen a few people with trios on here and it seems to work, would I be making a mistake? I really want to go and get him but the shed isn't even set up yet and now I'm second guessing whether it's even the right thing to do.

18. Zippstar

Zippstar PetForums Member

Hun, you want him and he sounds like he's in an AWFUL place! The poor little mite, well, all of them really :(! If you have somewhere he could be accomodated even temporarily then I say go get him - it's not paying her, it's saving him. You know your bunnies best and if you think it could work then definitely go for it; if not, why not see if someone on here or near you could take him who could also give him a good home.

19. BattleKat

I do want him but the temp run is only 5ftx2.5ft and I don't think he'd fit through the door to the bed :lol: Not to mention temporary housing is actually going to be quite long term if he's only 3 months. Would be in temporary housing for another 3 months before being bonded with the girls in the shed.

I've never bonded rabbits before so I don't really know how to judge if the rabbits are dominant or anything. There doesn't seem to be a dominant one of the two and both are very friendly towards me.

20. BattleKat

ah sod it, spoke to the OH and we're going to get the stuff to build a temporary 6x3 run tomorrow and connect it to a crappy hutch we've got spare.

I've named him bruce banner (like the hulk - you don't want to make him angry!) and I'll be getting him ASAP. Much to the OH's disapproval. :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice