Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Violent seizures in dogs.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Dimarie Perez, May 25, 2018.

1. Dimarie Perez

Dimarie Perez PetForums Newbie

Hi there, My name is Dimarie and i wanted to share my experience with all of you.

I have a american pitbull (red nose) hes 6 years old and a month ago he started having the worst seizures i have ever witnessed in my lifetime. He started having them at nights when he would go to sleep and then later on he started having them during the days to, so i searched and searched for answers in the internet looking for other dog owners who could relate to what was happening to my bby but everyone had a different answer and a different kind of seizure. My husband and i took him to the vet they did some blood and stool work and all came back negative, the vet told us he was amazingly healthy and that it could be something hereditary or caused by heat strokes, which in my opinion didn't serve me any purpose because if he cant figure out whats wrong with my dog then i wouldn't know how to treat him and i was so scared because the same day before i took him to the vet he had 2 seizures in a row which made my dog stop breathing completely, i had to actually do some cpr on him till he finally breathed. The vet told us to wait another week to "observe" the seizures and to come back on Monday to tell him what had happen during that week and my desperation when i got home led me to keep looking on the web for more answers, until i found a Youtube video where this boxers owner would spray CBD in hes dogs mouth when he started convulsing, and the dog would automatically stop hes seizures like nothing happen. So i had to make a decision for the wellness of my dog either i would go with the anti-seizure pills that my vet recommended (which he himself told me would do more harm than good) or i could go and experiment with something non toxic that would help my dog . So i spoke to the local canabis center in my city and bought CBD Tincture for Dogs. Let me tell you my dog has been free of seizures for more than a month now and i cant be happier about this. Who would of thought something so frown upon would save my dogs life?

I did do a research on my dogs family tree with the person whom i adopted my dog from and he told me that from the 12 dogs my dogs mom had 3 of them are still alive all of the rest have passed away and they all did because of this seizures, so my guess on this matter is that it is in fact something hereditary like the vet said and i am just glad that i could help my little bby deal with this decease, i hate seeing him in pain. I hope i can help someone out there who is having this experience with their dogs, also a little disclaimer im not saying this is a cure for seizures but it works , i administer CBD orally to my dog once at 11am after hes first meal and another one at 11pm. We changed hes diet to now he eats 2 times a day and he gets cottage cheese before bed time,and he couldn't be any more happy than he is now ♥

2. bird

bird PetForums VIP

If this is a genuine post then please excuse my sarcasm, epilepsy is not tested for by bloods and stools, it is a condition that has no known cause (in the case of idiopathic) brain scans and lumbar punctures discount an underlying cause, such as brain tumours etc.

If you are genuine and not just some “sales rep” for CB, may I strongly suggest you change your vet, as he/she sounds incompetent

lullabydream likes this.
  3. Dimarie Perez

Never did i mentioned epilepsy in my dog. I also mentioned my dog's siblings all had violent seizures. My vet did the blood-work and stool work to test if Drako had any type of decease caused by ticks. I did ask him about a CT Scan but the costs of it is around a thousand dollars which sadly right now i do not have. Further more in Puerto Rico dog insurance doesn't exists yet. As for now we don't know what was wrong with him and my obligation as a pet owner is to bring him to the vet as soon as something like this happens . Did i like the blank answers he gave me? No. Did i pay almost $300 dollars for them to tell me there was nothing wrong with him? Yes. But like i said it was my duty to take him, i was desperate and i found a temporal solution i dont know how long this CBD will work i dont work for no canabis company. Maybe you find my experience odd since English is not my first language is Spanish, but i do find it offensive for someone to come out and analyse what i went thru with my dog and make it look like a lie. Either way i posted this to help others going thru the same experience as me not to sell anything to anybody, like you can see i never even mentioned brands.....

4. bird

bird PetForums VIP

I did say if this was genuine then I apologise for the sarcasm. It sounds very much your dog has become epileptic, reading how many seizures your dog has had I was very sceptical and concerned that your vet did not prescribe you any anti seizure medication.

I have read that for a few, CB oil is working or appearing to work for some dogs with epilepsy, and as I have an epileptic dog myself I understand how frightening the seizure can be, whether it be a full fit (grand mal) or partial fit (focal) I wish you well and hope that it continues to work for you.

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

In the same breath though people used valerian too for epilepsy and have seen results

6. Dimarie Perez

I do appreciate the information sometimes i can't sleep thinking hes going to have seizures again. The vet did tell me to observe him for a week but after the last seizure he had that he stopped breathing i couldn't just do anything i even bought something called pet calm in Walgreen's the night before because i didn't know what to do. This is my first time having this experience with a dog. I do however seen changes in hes behavior after all those episodes and before the cbd. Hes very first seizure was on the 10th of April and it was incredible violent and me being ignorant thought he had raves, but that aside i tried keeping him in place with pillows, but after that he became afraid of everything, then the next episodes came everyday starting on the 20th of April. What i don't understand is, is it possible that all 12 of hes siblings where epileptic to? They all passed away having a seizure, theirs only 3 left including Drako. I'm extremely scared to be honest with you and the vet told us he would prescribe him an anti seizure pill but that those pills caused liver problems and the CBD its working for now i guess only time will tell what works best for him. I will look in to the valerian thank you for that .

7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

The problem though with epiliepsy is that quite often you can get clusters of seizures then nothing...so although you think that the medication you have given works... epiliepsy doesn't mean constant seizures all the time per say. So what you are seeing is more probably a correlation than anything.

With anti seizure drugs...there is medical evidence that proves these work to stop seizures or prevent them occuring as frequently as they could do.

There is always concern about liver problems hence bloods taken regularly to check liver function is protocol

If you look at human medicine, for example a certain medicine for blood pressure requires blood tests regularly to check various body functions. The onus that it's best to be on the medication than not though...

Things can be done to help the liver if need be, but sometimes holding off from veterinary advice from reports you read online is clutching at straws and to be honest not something I would trust whole heartedly.

Nothing in life is risk free and sometimes known risks are beneficial.

8. bird

bird PetForums VIP

The medication for epilepsy can cause liver damage, it really depends what strength it needs to be to help control the epilepsy (not breed specific each dog metabolises the drug differently) and how long the dog has been on them, it’s not immediate damage, and is built up over time, annual blood tests should help to spot any damage that may start to occur.

Yes current research seems to link that epilepsy can be inherited by dogs, if others of the same litter have had seizures I would think that’s it’s something inherited.

The fits are frightening, because I’ve been dealing with my dog for nearly 12months now, I can spot the signs of a fit developing, he wants cuddles and attention up to 48 hours before, although occasionally it has been a week before. Pre-medication he was having 2 or 3 fits in 24hours every two weeks, now we can go as long as 6 weeks before he has one. after a fit he can be very disoriented, unsteady on his legs and bumping into things almost as though he was blind, this is temporary don’t panic, and occasionally a massive adrenaline rush, and it can take a while for him to settle, the main thing for you is to try and stay calm throughout (easier said than done) and carry on doing whatever you were doing before the fit occurred, stroke him if possible and talk to him in a calm everyday voice. My dog lives a happy normal life outside his seizures, treat your dog no different than before, he’s still the same dog, he just has a seizure now and then

9. Dimarie Perez

I will thank you so much to the both of you. The vet checks on my dog every week asking if he has had any episodes and if he does again i will take him back to him so he can get prescribed also will consult about the valerian.

10. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Senior

have you though about filming the seizures for your Vet on the phone to show them even if it is for a few seconds, my Lab had petit mal with no causes they said it was hereditary he went on epilepsy meds and he had 2 seizures in 6 years we had blood tests every 6 months for liver functions etc. My advice there is no cure and with all drugs there are side effects my Murphy was okay on the drugs, I do not think I would want just CBD as a treatment. Its up to you

11. Dimarie Perez

Yes i managed to film the first one he ever got at least the last few seconds of it and showed the vet. But we are taking him back next Monday because he had a small seizure 1 day ago only lasted like 20 seconds but i don't want him suffering to see what the vet suggest we give him. The CBD is working to take him out of it but i guess is not completely making them stop. At least he was able to be 1 month without recurring seizures like he was every day, because he was getting 2 a day. I will update again when the Vet sees him on Monday, and ty.

12. Bebe1

Bebe1 PetForums Member

CBD oil is amazing for dogs prone to seizues. Theres a Facebook site called CBD for Dogs and small furries...or something like that, if I knew how to do a link on ipad Id give you it:rolleyes:, and there are loads of dogs that are being treated for seizures with it. You just have to make sure theres no THC in the oil as thats what gets people high and is a psychotic.
    I use CBD oil both for myself and my dog. Im guessing you arnt in the uk due to your reference about owning a Pitbull, but theres a brilliant Facebook page called SimplyCBD and the owner is very knowledable about treating dogs with the oil, all the proceeds go towards his dog rescue centre which is an added bonus for me using him. He uses it to rehabilitate his rescue dogs.
    A friend of mine put her dog on the oil for seizures and her dog has not had one seizure since. This dog had multiple seizures, so its an amazing result.

I wouldnt use anything on my dog that was unsafe or unknown, I researched it for months before getting it, so I know that, this particular companies oil at least, is safe. Its being used for anxiety for both my dog and me and for pain for my dogs arthritis, hes a different dog pain-wise but we,re still tweaking the dose for anxiety.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice