Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

views

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by sezmc, May 16, 2010.

1. sezmc

sezmc PetForums Newbie

opinions on international trade in exotic species pleasexx:)

2. Paul Dunham

Paul Dunham PetForums Senior

Wild exotic species should only be imported for conservation purposes and not for the pet trade. It's been reported recently that there has been an acceleration in the numbers of species which are now becoming extinct.

It's about time the protectionist organisations realised just what an essential tool for wildlife conservation they have in animal keepers and thought more about making use of them for preserving many of the threatened species.

There are many species kept in captivity today which no longer exist in the wild and given there seems there will be no environment left for them live. Then perhaps captivity will be the only option available to them.

3. Paul Dunham

Hi,

I've just copied and pasted something I've written from another page. It relates to the subject you are asking about.

This was a section entitled Exoctic Birds in the Pet Trade.
    This was someone asking about the illegal bird trade.

The answers very simple. The trade has always existed. But has been grossly exaggerated by the animal protection agencies who have been seeking a ban on keeping all exotic species in captivity. I was working as curator of birds in a bird garden since the early 70's which also imported birds for sale to the public even before there was a quaranteen for birds. I have constantly had my ear to the ground since those days and seen the documentaries and claims made by these organisations. I have been well aware what comes onto the market over the years both illegal as well as legal.

What I want to know is where the hell are these hundreds of thousands of illegal birds which flood into the UK every year because I've seen very few.
    I would sugest these figures are a fabrication and would challenge them to prove the numbers they claim. Illegal imports do happen but they are always exaggerated by the animal protection authorities.

4. maddogfan

maddogfan PetForums Newbie

they are some exotic animals that have been born in captivity that can not go back in to the wild

5. Paul Dunham

Thank you maddogfan. My point exactly. Conservationists should make use of animal keepers.

#5 Paul Dunham, May 23, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice