Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Viewing puppies?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by JSR, May 26, 2010.

1. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Out of interest has anyone ever been to view puppies and come back without reserving or buying one?

Just asking as we recently had a litter of 3 beyond gorgeous pups for rehoming and we had at least 4 people who came to see them but didn't reserve them. I find it amazing cos being a total sucker for poopies of any shape or size I can't imagine going to see some and not falling in love with at least 1!! I would have thought if someone had decided they are wanted a puppy then they couldn't go see any and walk away empty handed (figuratively obviously as being a rescue we would homecheck first but you know what I mean!!).

2. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

ive never been to veiw puppies coz all my lot have been unwanted and come to me but i know that if i went to view some after deciding i wanted a puppy i would be reserving for sure :eek:

(yep another sucker for puppies here :eek:)

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I would like to think that if the puppy wasnt right for our situation etc I would walk away but in reality of course that wouldnt happen, I mean they are soooo flippin cute arent they:eek:.

4. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Cleo - private rehoming - saw her and brought her home straight away
    Molly- went to the rescue - wanted to take them all but had selected her to apply for - said yes to her straight away (even though we were going to foster her a few days to see if she settled in!!)
    Pixie - private rehoming - saw her a brought her home straight away!!

Although they weren't in a litter of puppies I fell in love straight away, and would probably be the same with puppies!!

I'm a softy when it comes to doggies!!

xx

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I'd love to say I'd walk away and hopefully I would but I've never done it

6. Maz&Oozy

Maz&Oozy PetForums Member

I looked at a litter before I bought my lad, the pups were cute but wasnt 100% happy with something, so decided no and waited and viewed some others later and found my lad. so yea I did, but was hard as there were adorable.

also my friend had some pups Hienz57's last year, lovely cute pups and she had some people come and see them at 5 weeks and few didnt buy and she felt they just came to see cute pups, not buy, so maybe thats what they were doing.

7. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Dont think I could. Even though everything told me to walk away from the situation when I got Hannah i still put my deposit down!!
    Im even less likely to now knowing how Hannah turned into my heartdog (and is the one that friends and neighbours want to pinch!!).:rolleyes:

8. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I have walked away,it wasnt easy,but in this case i could see there were things (health related) that i wasnt happy with.
    However,since then (quite some time ago)i do tend to do my research first,so that i know any puppies i would view would be what im looking for,then if i fall in love with one its fine!!
    If you are unsure of which breed to have you may view many litters to see if that breed would suit you.Likewise if you are a very experienced dog person you will probably know exactly what you want and therefore be quite particular.

9. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Hopefully i've researched the breeder and asked enough questions that I'm happy with the breeder so when I went to view, it was more of a case of choosing the pup and putting a deposit down. I wouldn't be able to leave pups, even if it was a bad situation.

10. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Absolutely.

That may seem harsh, but I have done it. I'm going to be spending the next 10 - 15 years with this dog so it has to be right for me. I will check health tests and pedigree before even seeing the litter, but even then, I want to meet the dam and puppies and will make my decision then. Nowadays, I will most likely have seen the dam and sire in competition so will already have an interest even before pups are thought about, but even years ago when buying a pet, I did walk away from a litter. Very nice pups they were, but just not quite what I was looking for.

Personally, I wish buyers were more discerning. It is the fact that most buyers CAN'T walk away once they've seen the puppies that keep all the byb and puppy farmers in business.

swarthy likes this.
  11. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

It is true, but its human nature to want to care for a puppy that is in danger or is ill or thin if its from a bad breeder.

However, all puppies need a caring home, it didn't choose to be born into a puppy farmer's hands.

12. Denise Jonty&Dulcie

Denise Jonty&Dulcie PetForums Member

I have walked away after viewing a litter of puppies, I had travelled over 200 miles to see the litter, which was beautiful,but I wanted to be able to pick my puppy and the breeder would not let me do this, so sadly I left and went elsewhere.--Denise

13. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

We had someone come to view a litter we had. They were a couple and their older daughter who had left home. Both the parents and the daughter wanted a pup so 2 would have been going together and would see each other regulary but would not be living together.

They came and looked I got my grooming table out and stood them all. They went outside as they wouldn't talk in front of us. Then came back and told us they wanted pups to show and none of our pups were show quality.

Well they were the ones that lost out as several of the pups they looked at went on to get best of breed at open shows and to win at champ shows too.

I did ask if they had ever shown a whippet their answer was no but we know all about showing they used to show great danes.

14. Darkstitch

Darkstitch PetForums Member

Not exactly, went to visit the breeder so that I could meet some of her dogs (Wasn't supposed to be getting a puppy till around June-ish). She showed us a litter that she had at the time and I ended up putting a reserve on one of those instead :lol:

15. Joolz1975

Joolz1975 PetForums Member

Yeh i have, went to look at some at a place near Doncaster that actually with hindsight was a puppy farm (though prob not the worst as they were all well cared for and saw all the mums)

A choc roan cocker pup caught my eye and it was so hard to walk away but i knew i didnt want to line these peoples pockets with my cash so we walked away! found it hard as i knew we could give that dog a great life but i wanted to find a good breeder (found one now but having to wait a looooong time for my puppy as they havnt been born yet) sure it will be worth it in the end!

16. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I only viewed Sky and yup brought her home with me.

I would find it extremely hard to say no but I'd have to think what's right for the pup and my pets, not what's best for me.

17. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I have turned down a puppy from a litter once - the breeder was having a final litter from Daisy's mum and as Daisy was beautiful and a great temperament I decided I would like a half-sister.

The pups were gorgeous with outgong temperaments, but none stood out for me, or "chose" me. Daisy had also been ill on-and-off with colitis a few times, and part of me was worried about it being inherited - colitis is fairly common in Mini Schnauzers. Daisy died a year later and part of me regrets not getting one of these puppes - but Lottie my Labradoodle is similar in temperament (she even sighs when I make her get off my bed). She is just 3 times bigger :D

18. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

We went to look at a wolfhound litter years ago - we adored the little pups and did want one. We were pretty niave back then - and when we did research we discovered that he was a puppy farmer and the pups were all inbred and didn't have the basic necessary tests. We came away without a pup. It was hard, but the right thing to do.

19. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

i could never view a litter without wanting a pup, we phoned a few but never went to see them, not sure what stopped us from going to see them as with zeb we couldnt wait!

20. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I have been with a few friends to view litters and although it was hard i have come back empty handed.

I managed (just) to persuade 2 of my friends to also walk away. The breeders weren't exactly great...... :mad: :(

I think i find it easier to walk away because i am a bit more clued up to responsible breeding. Unfortunately over here a lot of people aren't so clued up :frown: they believe the well rehersed lies spun by horrid breeders :frown:

Oh and also i am getting a puppy from a highly responsible, amazing breeder when she next has a litter (UK breeder) so i can walk away from any here quite happily!

However, i do struggle with rescues! If i see adverts in our paper where people are giving up their dogs for various reasons i always phone :eek: :eek: if a dog came up that would be happy here with my dog, daughter and cat then i wouldn't have such a resolve! :eek: Or when i get phoned up to see if i can assist in a rehome (like my ESS was........he is still here :lol:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice