Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vidalta question?....

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by sem73, Oct 2, 2013.

1. sem73

sem73 PetForums Member

Hi All

Quick question relating to Meg's story so far.....

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/324574-miss-meg-3-leg-ill-admitted-vets-morning.html

Went to vets last Thursday for check-up, 2 weeks after starting Vidalta 15mg once a day, all seemed well but vet decided because of Meg's initial v high readings to repeat bloods on week 3, which is tomorrow, appt booked for 9am & repeat liver function tests, so poor Meg to be starved from midnight-ish :(

Meg seems fine at the mo, eating & drinking fine, litter tray activities fine, but she seems lethargic & "wary" of anything & everything at times from late morning til around teatime, no obvious outward "stressing" but just not her usual self at times....

We give her tablet at around 7pm everyday & just wondered if the fact it's a slow-release for 24 hrs has any effect on her mood/behaviour as the concentration of the drug in her bloodstream must alter? :confused:

Will of course ask the vet all these questions in the morning but just for now wondered if anyones else has had the same experience or is it still early days in the drug taking long term effect?....

Sarah :)

2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I'd certainly be interested to hear the T4 readings given the 15mg dose and I wouldn't be surprised if the drug was responsible for her (albeit mild in comparison to some I've heard of) symptoms. Vidalta hasn't always been as 'benign' as this, with a lot of owners reporting some variable adverse symptoms. You've may have read about my advocating a low-dose start as sometimes higher dose ones (doesn't sound as if Meg is one though) can adversely affect the kidneys etc So I think you vet is wise to test now.

Good luck tomorrow and let us know how it goes!

3. sem73

sem73 PetForums Member

Hi Ianthi

Many thanks for your reply! :)

Since I posted earlier we've had a prolonged spell of more "normal" Meg, as in more sociable & active!....

Will let you know how we get on with the vet tomorrow!

4. sem73

sem73 PetForums Member

Hi All

Well repeat bloods done @ 10:30 this morning & results in @ 3pm....

Meg is now hypo-thyroid :( her T4 level was 236, 3 wks ago & now is 6! :eek:

We have now got a reduced dose of 10mg instead of 15mg of Vidalta....

LFTs were back in normal range & bilirubin normal.... creatanine was normal but urea slightly up at 10.1... we need to obtain a urine sample when we can :rolleyes:

Vet was positive that Miss Meg will hopefully stabilise in preparation for radioactive iodine treatment so fingers crossed!!

5. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

This is EXACTLY what happens with these high doses and if this were allowed to persist some irreversible renal damage could easily have occurred. Meg is OK in that being a young cat she was probably at the lower end of the Creatinine range (and you tested early) but an older cat with higher pre-medication readings may not have been so lucky! Being hypothyroid slows down the renal filtration rate.The HT forum I referred to earlier is littered with such cases.Once T4 is back in range the renal numbers should return to former levels so explains why vet requires a urine sample.

When is the L131?

6. sem73

sem73 PetForums Member

Hi Ianthi

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated :)

I've joined the HT yahoo group & have read similar situations as you describe...I'm sure the group will be a valuable resource to me & Meg!...

I've got to pick up the 10mg dose today (no dose yesterday) & restart tonight, I assume it's a balancing act to start to aim for normal T4 levels. Do you think 10mg is a sufficiently lower dose to increase T4 levels, without going hyper-T again!?

When Vet phoned with results yesterday a timescale for L131 wasn't mentioned, just the referral had been sent & dependant on stable T4 & kidney results....

When do you think a suitable re-test of T4 should be, given a lowered dose?!

Sorry about all the questions!....just like humans @ the GPs we think of all these questions afterwards!!

Many thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice