Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vibes needed please!!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by B3rnie, May 28, 2010.

1. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Rhythm has decided to stop eating :confused1: He is normally driven by his stomach so it is very unusual for him. Please can I have as many nomming vibes as possible, if he doesn't ea something soon then we will be off to the vets :frown:

2. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

*nom vibes* aww :( hope he is ok hun, could it be heat?

3. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

I'm hoping it is the heat or he is sulking cos he is going through a heavy moult at the mo.
    He has had some fibreplex and he has taken a little recovery food, so has now started pooing at least. I have bought him and his brother inside so I can keep a very close eye on him :frown:
    I just wish he showed just a litle interest in food :confused1:

4. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

when Rosie stopped eating post op, the only thing that she would touch was fresh grass (odd considering she had never been outside in her life, that I know of) tried that? could try him with treats and his faves dotted around for him

5. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Oh believe me I have tried everything (He normally goes nuts for weetabix, but just turned his nose up at it today :frown:) I think he is getting fed up of me shoving things in his face lol, I have sent my OH out to go and pick up all of his fav veggies and see if any of that tempts him, if there is no change in a couple of hours I am taking him off to see the vet just to be on the safe side :(

6. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

yeah better safe than sorry, could be down to the weather or maulting, I'm sure he will be munching away before you know it :)

7. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

pineapple juice is fantastic during a heavy molt, Miffy was off her food for a good 2 weeks. also plenty of water especially during this heat.

lots of vibes for him :( its such a horrible thing to go through but with plenty of attention i'm sure he will be fine

8. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Hoping he starts to eat soon!!

9. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Just to let you know there is still no change so we are off to the vets soon, I'll let you all know how we get on when I get back :frown:

10. Zippstar

Zippstar PetForums Member

:( poor boy, will keep checking back for updates!

11. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

oh no poor lad.....**nom vibes** i hope he starts eating again soon. i'll be keeping an eye out for updates. xx

12. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

We are back, and I'm pleased I took him....
    The vet did a glucose test as rabbits sugar levels go up if they are in pain, well a normal rabbit will have a glucose level of 8..... Rhythm had a glucose level of 14.5 :scared:
    So the vet has given him a gut stimulant and pain relief (I have more to give him at home) and we are back for another checkup tomorrow at 12....

13. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

ive never had a vet do that before, always just administered pain meds straight away, poor thing :(

14. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

It is the first time I have seen it done too, it only took a second and now we have a reading for today, when we go in tomorrow he can have another test to make sure things are moving in the right direction :thumbup:
    He has nibbled at a few spring greens, but he still isn't drinking and has stopped pooing again :frown::frown:
    I just wish I knew what has started all this :confused::

15. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

*Fingers Crossed*

Its a horrible thing, because you cant really do anything, its up to them to start eating :(
    Sound like you are doing everything you can, the pain meds should make him feel better and make him want to eat.

*Heidi*

16. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

fingers crossed for tomorrow hun. let us know how he gets on

17. helebelina

helebelina PetForums Senior

Aw poor bun! Lots of healing vibes coming your way from me, Toby and Tess. ;) Fingers crossed.

18. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Well we are back from the vets.....
    He had an xray taken and he has no obvious blockages or gas build ups :confused1: His glucose levels have dropped a couple points so at least he isn't in the level of pain that he was in yesterday.
    He is getting Metoclopramide every 8 hours and pain relief, so it is up to him to start pooing and eating now :confused:
    We are back for another check up tomorrow and if there is still no improvement we will have to start talking about opening him up to find out what is going on :scared:

19. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Just a quick update, Rhythm has now started eating and doing tiny poo's :thumbup: We aren't out of the woods yet, but he is fighting it now :D

20. Zippstar

Zippstar PetForums Member

If this was FB I would *like* this!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice