Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

VHD jabs, really needed?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by acjb007, May 14, 2010.

1. acjb007

acjb007 PetForums Junior

I'm unemployed so it's going to be expensive for my four rabbits. How serous is the disease? They've had myxo jabs as know thats a horrible illness.

2. Baby British

Baby British PetForums VIP

vhd is equally horrible as it usually proves fatal within 24 hours. I think it is usually spread via contact with infected rabbits although can also be transmitted through insects and moisture in the air.

3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

VHD is more important than myxi or at least that's what I was told by the vet. It can be airborne so even the rabbit being indoors isn't protection, there is no treatment and rabbits die horribly within 24 hours in most cases. I wouldn't risk it

4. slbrown2108

slbrown2108 PetForums Senior

VIRAL HAEMORRAHIC DISEASE (VHD) is a terrible and very fatal disease i would recommend that u vaccinate your rabbits espesh if u live near places where there are lots of wild rabbits as they are the ones which can spread and also carry the disease. If the rabbits are younger than six weeks old then they can have the disease and recover but if they are older then the disease is fatal and can kill them within 24 hours. I would personally vaccinate for this as i wouldnt wanna risk losing all four rabbits. How long ago did u vaccinate against myxo as these jags have to be given 14 days apart. usually VHD is given first. Any more info required pm me.

have a look at this link will explain in more detail

VHD FAQ

5. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

I was told VHD is only transmitted through contact with an area where wild rabbits have been?

If your rabbit lives outside or if wild animals can get into your garden then I'd get them done. If one of your rabbits get it then you are likely to lose them all.

No wild animals can get into my garden and mine live indoors but I could potentially bring the disease into the house if I were to tread in wild rabbit poo for example and then walk into their room.

My vet said its not worth getting mine done for the above reasons but I'm thinking of doing it anyway as I'd never forgive myself if anything happened to them that I know I could have prevented.

6. Baby British

Baby British PetForums VIP

I'd get them done as it can remain the environment for ages. Take a look

Viral Haemorrhagic Disease (VHD) of Rabbits

7. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

I would never risk my rabbits health for the sake on one injection a year. Yes it is vital.

8. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

As above really...

It isn't worth the risk of not getting them done, most people don't even know that their rabbits have vhd as it is known as the silent killer:frown:

9. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Personally, I wouldn't take the risk of not having it done, it is a horrible illness

10. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Not nice to see but this is VHD. It causes death within 24 hours and there is no cure. If a rabbit comes into contact with the disease and aren't vaccinated they will die within a day. By the time you notice something wrong with the rabbits it will already be dead or close to it, they bleed from the inside hence its name. I'm sorry to show this picture but it really makes people think twice about skipping a vaccine.

[​IMG]

Whats the cost of a rabbits life?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice