Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

VetUK Joint Supplement

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Linda Weasel, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

After recommendations on PF, I’ve started to give my doggo these tablets. We’re still in the first week; do I really need to give him a ‘double dose’ for the first 4/6 weeks??

Only asking as he seems to hate them. I have to break them in half (that’s 4 halves) and go through this mad titbit/titbit and tablet/titbit routine every day, and he’s getting wise to it, however exciting and desirable I try to make it.

If the answer is ‘yes’ I’ll have to get the pestle and mortar out.

Torin. likes this.
  2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

You don't *have* to do a loading dose for supplements, it's just that doing so gets the level of the active ingredients in the body up to the threshold of action level quicker without adverse risk. So then it's quicker to see if it's helping, faster results etc. If he really doesn't like them I'd stay at the level you are for now as it's not essential to push it in the way that it might be with medication - and if it's something longterm I'd also personally prefer to train to like them rather than going for the hiding method too! If you're taking it slowly he might be okay with a higher dose in a few weeks.

3. Linda Weasel

Thank you. As I’m only giving them as a preventative at the moment, I think I’ll go for the lower dose.

I can’t imagine how I’ll ‘train’ him to like them as he can spit one out in a millisecond! He hardly even has time to taste them enough to know if he liked them or not. I’m almost tempted to taste one myself to see if it’s that bad.

Any suggestions or tips are welcome.

4. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Sorry, busy day and badly worded - I meant I'd keep going as you are :) There's tips on how to use Premack to your advantage with pilling out there, to stop them taking advantage of getting wise to what you're doing, but I don't have the links to hand as it's been a while since I've needed to...

Linda Weasel likes this.
  5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

@Linda Weasel I feed wet in the mornings because Stan will spit out joint supplements. He does need them though, and yes I resort to pestle and mortar or rather rolling pin end and bash but he's only 4kg so dinky not Tod's size.

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I think you’ll be fine sticking with the daily dose.
    I had no idea re loading dose. Found daily dose and went with it. Didn’t read label thoroughly. They definitely made a difference but it was gradual.
    If Heidi has a blip I increase to 1 1/2 dose and keep double dose on the back burner.

They would probably crumble under a spoon in his bowl if need be.

7. Olaf1

Olaf1 PetForums Junior

It's supplement. You can just start with a simple load if the dog doesn't like them.

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I have to give Ned his in canine cracker form; a meat slice (i use Rocco chings) with a pate on top (i use some of the cats food) with the tablet as garnish. He wont touch them otherwise.

I use them as a preventative too. I believe its the only way they are truly effective. Didnt bother with the loading dose.

9. Olaf1

Olaf1 PetForums Junior

@Nonnie : this is absolutely true. There are only effective as prevention. Once the dog's joint is damaged thanks to arthritis mainly, it would be the same as to lock the door after the horse has bolted.

10. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

I use YuMove and dog loves it, highly recommend that or Riaflex but both pricy

11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

12. Linda Weasel

Thank you for all the answers and suggestions.
    Will soldier on with just the basic dose.

13. Linda Weasel

Update.
    Cracked it with PetPal liver pate!

Wrap some round half a tablet at a time and now Tod absolutely loves tablet time.

I swear this stuff would stick to anything.

Mum2Heidi, Torin. and JoanneF like this.
  14. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice