Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dad 2 a welshie, Feb 6, 2008.

1. dad 2 a welshie

dad 2 a welshie PetForums Junior

Oh i know i should be grateful but why oh why do i have to pay a £20 consoltation fee when i know my dog has a bl**dy ear infection.

So i had to take Dylan into the vets, Get him looked at, shave the inside of his ears and weigh him. Total cost for 10mins £38.

You cant buy the Canaural ear drops without a presription so i have to get them from the vets + the ear cleaner which totalled £18.

Arggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

2. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Get yourself some 'Thornit' and I do my spaniels ears every month just put a pinch in the ear canal - not cheap to buy but lasts forever. How long now til puppy day??

3. garryd

garryd Guest

You dont get much change in your pocket from £40 nowa days when you visit a vets!:mad:

4. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

you may as well just hand over your wallet and credit cards these days, wont be much left once the vet has finished with it

5. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Got to admit our vet was excellent when our little klein - Puzzle broke her jaw, Puzz is 7 1/2 and we were told it was going to be very expensive as it was where the upper and lower mandible meet and it was going to be very invasive surgery :( it might be cheaper to consider the other option (pts) but we told her no go ahead. She was 4 days in the vets on morphine etc picked her up expecting to take out a second mortgage to pay for her but was pleasantly surprised to only have a bill for £240 which was great. BTW none of our dogs are insured due to the amount we have :eek:

6. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

what vets do you use tashi?

I have insurance for my youngest 2 but not for my 13 and 10 year old its good value insurance to and only £15 for both dogs and the treatment is for the whole of the illness and not just for a year like some of them

7. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Shepherds in Bridgend their policy is to just make enough to cover their overheads (+ a little bit) and look after the people who line their pockets!!!

8. garryd

garryd Guest

My vet has told me not to bother with pet insurance ! From now on i have set up a bank account that i pay in what i was paying the pet
    insurance ,now if any of my dogs need anything the moneys there but if they dont you still have the money in the bank ;) Fcuk them insurances there as much a ripp of as those poxy vets ! And dont get me started on those vets !:mad:

9. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

my mother uses them, they seem ok but they have only had to use them for jabs and boosters so far.

10. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Got to admit that I won't see any of the younger vets and will only see one of the partners if it is for anything other than jabs etc. but with the amount of dogs we have on their books they do tend to be 'flexible'

11. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

they do tend to be a bit more helpful then :D:D

12. carol

carol PetForums VIP

your lucky if its only £20 mine starts from £35 but think thats gone up.

13. garryd

garryd Guest

i once questioned the bill at my vets ,thinking i had been charged to much ,i said to the receptionist i think i have been charged to much" she made a joke and said look at the vehicle your driving it looks like you can afford it ! this wound me right up :mad: just goes to show ya these vets eye you up and down when you walk in :(
    This very same vets had also a mini cash point machine in there waiting room:rolleyes::( now that cant be right can it !:(

14. dad 2 a welshie

dad 2 a welshie PetForums Junior

Well having cooled down a smidge i am feeling slightly better but still, i must admit they are a good vets and do open till 7pm and last hour is open surgury so cant grumble.

Hopefully picking ickle one up weekend of the 16th, cant wait.

15. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Thats when my 'beautiful' boy goes to try his new home in Scotland and if all goes well that is where he will stay :( We have copper in the ground here and I cannot keep his whites white so he is going to live with a friend of mine who is going to carry on showing him and he is meeting me at Manchester to pick him up - will be very sad.

16. dogsdinner

dogsdinner PetForums Junior

oooo its a lot cheaper here about €15 used to be €9, just gone up this year.

17. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

i have to say that my vets are very good...the sorted out the pet insurance when odis had cancer

18. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

well i have got to say i am so glad that i took out insurance when i got my dog at 4 months.
    She is now just over 2 1/2 and just had an operation which cost about a thousand pounds.
    I pay about £118 a year, there would have been no way i would have been able to afford it without insurance.

19. dogsdinner

dogsdinner PetForums Junior

Do you think it would be that much if you wern't insured?
    My last dog had surgery was in the animal hospital full time for 2 weeks lots of tests and treatmnts bill was about €700 about 400 sterling? Most owners around here dont insure if there worried they put away a bit every month usually end up a fair bit left over. You can get flea and wormer treatment from any pharmacy so vets dont rip you off for that either.

20. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

Yeah it would have cost that much if she were not insured.
    If i was not insured i would not have been able to afford to have it done. It was quite a big op she needed.
    I would not have been able to save that much in that time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice