Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

vets surgeries

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dogandbone, Jun 6, 2010.

1. dogandbone

dogandbone PetForums Member

I have just discovered that my local vet doesn't have any staff at the surgery overnight, I'm not sure whether this is because it's a weekend or if this is normal procedure during the week as well. My vet's is a really modern building with all the latest in veterinary care, so this came as a surprise to me - what happens if sick dogs are kept in overnight and they need attention? Does the same happen with other surgeries?
    I was told however that they look in on animals kept in every now and again, but I don't think that's right somehow and find it rather worrying??

2. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

The practice i worked at didn't have staff on site overnight, we used to go in and check on them, walk them and medicate them then go home again. Another practice that my friend left to go and work at had nurses that lived on site and had a flat to stay in at the surgery so they checked on the animals and then went up to the flat until the morning.

Not sure what other practices do really??

3. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

Ours dosnt have staff on at night as far as im aware if we need vet we have to ring and they meet us at the syurgery.

4. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

only vets who have hospital status are required to have a vet or qualified nurse on the premisis 24/7.

5. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Thats right Gesic.You might find though that some practices that dont have hospital status do have staff overnight to.Some practices have a company that cover the ooh care eg VetsNow and then the practice will just see to any inpatients they have.Then there are the practices that look in to walk,give meds etc.Its a very important question to ask a practice if you are a new client or looking to change practices.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice