Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vets need to open their minds!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by slavetorobbie, May 17, 2010.

1. slavetorobbie

slavetorobbie PetForums Member

I took Robbie for his vaccinations yesterday and was asked by the vet if he's on dry food. I told her that I give him both as his previous owners weaned him on dry only so he does have a fondness for it, but I prefer wet. She was quite disapproving and said he'd be better off on dry only, giving me a sample bag of Science Plan. Then she said he'll be okay to go out soon after his second injections (so at around 13 weeks old) and I told her he won't be going out for a while, if at all, as he's so so tiny and there are a lot of huge cats around here, plus I live on the second floor currently so want to wait til I move and he has a garden etc. Anyway, she said she can't understand why people have cats to keep them 'cooped up all day' with 'no stimulation', and said it's a cat's natural instinct to be outside. My kitten is perfectly stimulated, he has lots of toys and places to climb, scratch and hide and I am here most of the time to keep him occupied (not that he needs company!). It annoyed me because I just felt she had her mind so set on what she thinks or has been taught and was unhappy that I wasn't following the guidelines she gave me.

Is this a common problem people face with vets/cats? Or am I wrong?! She was very good otherwise, gave him a thorough examination etc and said he looks very healthy.

2. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

I don't know whys he felt the need to comment really. As long as you aren't abusing or neglecting him then you are free to make your own choices as to how to feed him and whether to let him out!

3. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

I had to chuckle when i read your post - it is SOOOOOO common that vets push dry food AND particularly Science Plan... Why? Because they are sponsored by Hills and get a commission/equipment/training from them for selling their food - sad but true. Vets do NOT have much training on nutrition and what training they do have is from, surprise surprise, people like Hills!

Stick to your instincts - they're right, wet is FAR better.

As for the inside/outside debate - i keep mine in and they have loads of fun in the house and with each other and so i dont think its detrimental to them... seeing as they have the option of playing on a railway line outside the back of my garden IF i chose to let them out!

I am getting harnesses made for mine so that i can take them out but supervise them etc as i dont want them not to experience the outdoors but i do want them not to be squished on the road or by a train! :)

4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I think many vets feel the same ways as yours. it seems quite rare to find one that's open minded and I count myself very fortunate now to have one that is.

5. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Maybe they get more money out of you if you have to take a cat in for fighting wounds or other accidents :rolleyes:

Our vet is great even when I take in reams of printed gobledegoop for her to read on possible solutions to Banjo's problems :rolleyes: :D However it did take a while for me to get Louie off her when we took him to be registerd :lol:

6. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I would ignore her advice with the food sample, from what I've read cats fed purely on dry food can be prone to more bouts of cystitis. So many vets now seem to try to push certain foods on to customers that is not beneficial to the animal just the vets profits. Try not to be pressurised in to buying anything. There's plenty of advice on this forum regarding cat foods & you can always have a look at ingredients & assess what's best yourself.
    Regarding indoor/outdoor cats I think it's just her opinion which she shouldn't really be lecturing you on really. there are loads of argurments for & against which personally I can see both sides & think it depends on the amount of stimulation they get if kept indoors & also what ssort of cat they are. As you are aware of this & of possible dangers outside then do what you feel is best for your cat.
    Maybe see a different vet next time if her views are going to upset/annoy you. It is only HER opinion & not fact.

7. slavetorobbie

Well my plan is to hopefully move into a ground floor flat with a garden that I can kitty-proof and get him used to the outdoors (hoping he will choose not to stray but I know what cats are like!), and we'll also adopt another cat when we have moved. If that fails, I'll be buying a harness for the same reason as you.

I didn't realise that vets were sponsored by Hills!! It all makes sense now... She said it would be better for his teeth etc but my thinking is that he enjoys his wet food, plus it provides him with water that he may not get otherwise. It's wrong that vets don't have extensive training in nutrition, in cats and dogs at least, because many people trust them more than they trust their own instincts. My mum's cats are well into their teens and have always had wet food and none of them have EVER been ill, which tells me I'm making the right choice!!

8. slavetorobbie

I am ignoring it - I donated the food to a lady collecting for a charity on my way out... Better than to waste it.

I think I will stick with her because she was very attentive and thorough and I guess she is following her training rather than trying to upset me! I just wanted to know if I was making bad decisions I guess.. I only had kittens when I was a child and my mum took care of these things!

As for letting him out, I will decide for definite when the time comes. I know that some are desperate to get out and luckily he hasn't yet showed any willingness to even look out of the window let alone jump out! As you said, there are always pros and cons and I'll definitely make an informed decision.

9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

That vet has very misguided opinions. It's too bad she is spreading such misinformation, who knows how many cats lives she will spoil with talk like that. Blah.

By the way when cats sit in windows it doesn't mean they want to go out, it just means they like to sit in windows. :)

10. slavetorobbie

Oh I know, I just mean he hasn't even had a second look out!! My friend's cat was intended to be an indoor only cat but it got to the point where she was so fascinated with birds and other things outside that she got stuck in a very tiny open window! They had to let her out after that because she was really unhappy.

11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Good for you!! Too many people get pressurised by sales & end up spending a fortune on stuff they don't need.
    My 2 cats I have at the moment are indoor (I've had indoor & outdoor in the past) - they have the option to go out but never do .... my big cat is scared of the birds!! They seem quite content & despite not going out are quite confident (apart from the scary birds! :eek:). When we recently got our dog they seemed to be fine with him after a few days.

12. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

This is a COMPLETE misconception, it is NOT better for their teeth... at all.

In my opinion the order of which food is good for cats is as follows:

Raw
    Wet high meat content
    Wet lower meat content
    Dry high meat contetn
    Dry lower meat content

Good things for teeth are chunks of raw meat with bone in - ie rabbit/lamb ribs, chicken wings, chicken necks.... must be RAW tho when giving bones.

13. slavetorobbie

Ha, it's ridiculous that vets can tell us things like this isn't it?!
    When he's a little older I am planning to introduce raw food to complement his diet, have been doing some research to try and work out the best time and way to do this. I never realised there was so much controversy regarding cat food to be honest!

14. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

LOL - just try posting whats best: indoor or outdoors for cats & see how much controversy you can create then!!! :lol:

You have to use your judgement really. I fell for the 'dry food is good for their teeth' reasoning until I actually watched my cat eat - he gulps his food down as he's so greedy, there's no chewing involved at all so his teeth don't get the friction of chewing the dry food at all.

15. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

Indeed! I have a friend whom I visit from time to time who feeds his two cats mainly dry food. The cats either crunch once or twice to snap the biscuit (which they need to put effort into the biscuits are that hard and brittle), or they will just swallow the things whole.
    I have never seen how that helps dental health, especially as (as far as I'm aware), cats mainly get dental problems that start below or around the gumline instead of actually on the teeth themselves.

16. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

i have, for sometime, come to the conclusion that there not very many vets in this country that are cat orientated.
    occasionally you do get vets that have an idea how cats work, ie their health as well as their personality.
    have you noticed even medication is usually licenced for dogs before it is licenced for cats?
    its ok if the cat has a routine problem but anything out of the ordinary then they are scratching their heads

17. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

When I asked my vet about Millie going off her wet Natures Menu and only eating Go Cat which was all I could get at the local garage late at night (although I've now moved her onto Tescos 60% tuna pouches and Applaws 90% dry) she suggested that I shouldn't give her Go Cat (tick) but that I should give her...

>>>wait for it...

>>>

>>>

>>>

WHISKAS!!!!!!!!

:scared: :scared: :scared:

What the hell???

18. Tje

Tje Banned

I get so fed up of this attitude with vets. No wonder I just lie to my vet(s) now. I get sick to the back teeth of defending myself.

As for letting such a young kitten outside, and her scathing comments about indoor cats.... quite shocking really.

DallyBanjo suggested something along the lines of ... maybe vets make more profits out of outdoor cats with their higher chance of injury and/or infection. I will agree with that and go one better... I think vets recommend Hills/Royal Canin dry food so the food make our cats ill so we end up taking them to the vet more often, lol.

I wonder how long it would take for a doctor to be struck off the medical register if he recoiled in horror when we said we feed our kids fresh fruit and vegetables every day, and the doctor then went on to tell us we should change their diets to McDonalds in the morning, KFC for lunch and Burger King for dinner. Yet vets get away with this mis-information on a daily basis.

19. Tje

Tje Banned

what irks me too is the size of many vet pills... the dosages are based on average dog sizes... so you go to the vet and get antibiotics or whatever pill for your average 4 kilo cat, but that pill is designed for a 16 kilo dog, so you end up having to sit with a pill slicer or pill crusher... and slice a tiny pill into 4 perfectly equally sized quarters... that's almost impossible.

I had a foster cat with epilepsy and had to give her one quarter of a dog sized pill every day. To the naked eye all 4 quarters of the pill looked equal sized... but when I put them on one of those scales made for pharmacists, I was shocked to realise I was overdosing the cat somedays and under-dosing her other days. It was just impossible to get all 4 quarters of the pill to be the same size!

Why can't they just make dog pills and cat pills???? It would make life so much easier (not to mention safer for the cats as they'd be getting the proper dosage!).

20. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

I totally agree! My two love sitting and looking out of the windows. They especially love it when the window is slightly open and they can feel the breeze. However, I have attempted to take them out onto my balcony with harnesses and they were utterly terrified and scrabbling to get back inside.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice