Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vets - good and BAD

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nina, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Its been three weeks since I lost my beloved dog Zak, and I would not wish our experience on anyone. I just pray to God that my poor dog was unaware what was going on.

He collapsed two weeks ago and was rushed into our vets surgery on emergency. Our regular vet was on holiday, so we saw a woman who had not the slightest compassion, or, idea, what was wrong.

His gums were white and his mouth was cold. He was in a collapsed state and could hardly move. After 40 minutes she suggested that we take him home! It was then that I suggested that he was in fact dieing, and only then did she put a needle in his stomach to discover that he was bleeding internally.

We knew that the kindest thing was to put him to sleep, but he was so bad by this time, that she could not even find a vein. He was pulled this way and that, and eventually I asked for another vet to attend him. At last they gave him a sedative, and decided to inject the fatal dose into his heart. They could not even locate his heart, and after a further 20 minutes decided to inject the fatal dose into his liver!

There was no compassion at all, in fact I would say they were barbarians that just wanted us out of the surgery as quickly as possible. They did not understand why we wanted to be there for our dog to the end, whatever the circumstances.

We are now awaiting his ashes, and would urge anyone reading this, to ensure that their vet is understanding and competent. I would not wish our experience on anyone.

2. jo-ann

jo-ann PetForums Junior

hat is so sad my hart goes out to you i lost 5 dogs this year all with in 24 hours

3. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

Aww I'm sorry to hear that. Some vets are horrible, I've worked with a few. To be fair also, it is difficult to find veins/heart/liver or wherever they need to inject. They could have maybe taken him through to the back and put an i/v catheter in to be more compassionate, that's what we would do. :(

4. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

It's an awful experience for you to go through at the end of your dogs life, Zak was very ill, so was hopefully unaware, but you willl unfortunately have the memory.

5. carol

carol PetForums VIP

sorry to hear the trouble you have
    some of the out of hours vets are not experienced a lot and some just out of collage
    sort of thing happen to me but not with the same results as you
    sprinkle got ill few years back and all the woman vet was interested in some thing completely different to what he was taking if for and kepted going on about he had to be done.
    so she got a ear full from me and i told her if you do anything to him other than what he is here for i will sue you,
    and was told to make him comferable untill alan came in the next day.
    anyway it was his water works had a stone in and couldnt wee.
    when i told alan what went on he had a right go at this so called vet, the nurse vicky said the air was blue.
    as you can imagine the other vet is not there anymore.

6. Nina - Vets quite a big issue for me too. The thing is if ones booking an appointment they rarely saying to which Doctor - I am always incicting to tell me that. Another thing - they do have locums very often and we never been told weather this or that is a doctor or a locum, or a practiing student, or experienced Doc - unless you'll insist on that info. Sometimes experience could be crucial for out pets!

7. She's just gone to another Vets do make the same "difference"....Unfortunately for us they are "covering" each other. The best thing is to follow your gut instinct, to speak to other breeders/owners and to get a second opinion. (Well in my experience a few years ago - second opinion has not been given as I refused to disclose to a second Vet the first opinion in order to get an independent piece of mind....Ridiculous!)

8. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

It just seems as though we have no recourse when something like this happens. If you complain to the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, your comments are 'noted'. I know of no official body that is responsible for such complaints, and feel that any letter will only be disregarded.

Perhaps I was spoiled with my last practice, who were wonderful, compassionate people.

9. carol

carol PetForums VIP

thing that got me elena we knew was wrong with him and we knew what the treatment was but as normal you get these young vets out of collage thing they know everything and dont.

10. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear of your awful experience, its hard enough losing a beloved pet without being submitted to that kind of thing from your vet.

11. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Unfortunately you are quite right complaints get you nowhere. A friend of mine took his 15 month GSD to the vets saying he was ill, he thought he possibly had a torsion, he was told there was nothing wrong with the dog and to take him home. He continued to get worse so a couple of hours later he took him back, saw a different vet, who diagnosed torsion and was operated on immediately. He had to leave the dog in over night, when he rung the following morning he was told his dog had died, then that he hadn't. Then he got a call 5 minutes later to say in fact he had died during the night. He quite rightly was very upset, put in written complaints, but never got anywhere.

12. BredaKim

BredaKim PetForums Member

Nina,

I'm so sorry for your loss! You must have been heartbroken:(Breda xxx

13. Perhaps I was spoiled with my last practice, who were wonderful, compassionate people.[/quote]
    Thats what thay're should be like. Its not only Vets, looks at some GPs - do they ever care?

14. You'll have to ask - every time you're making an appointment - who's its with - and weather it is a student or not? Tell them that you are not prepared to risk your loved pet's life............

15. Thats is really horrible......

It makes Vets rest assured that none of them ever will be punished in any way.

16. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

It also amazes me how the prices can differ from practice to practice.

We have still not received our vet bill, and I am planning to visit the surgery at some point this week to recover his ashes, if they are back yet!

Even spaying and neutering prices vary which seems extremely strange, since its the same procedure wherever you go!

17. jeanie

jeanie PetForums VIP

We have just yesterday changed vets still with same animal hospital but asked for a new vet, as we had to take one of the cats ,we have for the last 3 times had a woman who was great the first time we went but didnt seem to care after that, we saw the new vet yeterday and hes great up to now, The woman we had said if jazz our GSD got much larger she wouldnt be able to treat him, so thats the first thing i asked the new vet as hes only 9 mths old, he said it was fine no probs at all even when i said we had two, and he sorted our cat out lovely was very kind to her thats all within one practice who i have been with for years but they do Take a lot of last year students so i checked he was a fully fledged vet,

18. kelly

kelly PetForums Member

so sorry for your loss nina, im alsmost in tears reading some of the experiences people have had!

our vets seem to be ok, our dog was attacked by another dog when out walking we rushed him straight to the vets and they rushed me into see the surgeon to advise me (chase had been bitten in his armpitt) it was decided that he wouldn't be stitched up as the infection could then be trapped inside so i had to scrub it every day for a week or so! all ok now!
    i took my cat in a week later and the vet remembered who i was and asked how chase was!

prices do vary and it amazes us that it is more expensive to have a dog castrated than a cat spayed!

19. carol

carol PetForums VIP

when it was time to get my pups injection done i asked my normal vet they would charge me for 5 pups and i had 7 to do and they wanted over £180
    so phoned one up that i ve used before to have a dog done which cost me £80 to have him done there
    anyway to have the 7 pups injection done at the other vet cost me £125 way way cheeper
    so i asked how much to have a bitch done anything up to 35kg was £100 aprox my normal vet it will be in the £200 or more mark.
    then there's alan who i found after he lefted my normal vet i ask him anything major i take my dog too his got so much more experience than any vet i know.

20. garryd

garryd Guest

Would you beleve me if i told you my vet has a mini cashpoint machine in there waiting room! beat that ! that can never be a good sign can it!:rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice