Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vets and Insurance

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dickybirdclocks, Apr 20, 2011.

1. dickybirdclocks

dickybirdclocks PetForums Junior

Took Ben the Ridgeback for his 2nd vaccination today so only a few days to go before letting him out to cause untold mischief ,LOL He was microchipped at the same time and weighed ,Gone from just over 7kg to 14 kg in 4 weeks is he going to be a big boy ?.Whilst at Vets i asked wether they would like contact details of my insurance company they said Nooooo but would put on record that he was insured .I was of the understanding that vets dealt direct with the insurance companies and i am pretty sure that insurance companies state in their advertising that this is the case .My vet receptionist informed me that i had to pay any bills and claim it back --" Ludicrous " If i was to have a motor accident the people providing a service would deal with my insurer so why is pet insurance appearing to be different or do i just need a better vet ?.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Thats common practice at most vets.

Insurance companies take ages, find reason not to pay, and its not the vets job to chase them up to get payment, but the owners.

Vets are a business like any other and require immediate payment for the service they have provided, and very few are prepared to wait weeks, or even months for their money. Many have learnt the hard way about dealing directly with insurance companies.

3. ridgeback05

ridgeback05 PetForums Senior

i must be lucky..my vet deals direct with the insurance company...

4. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I received a cheque last week for a claim that went in 3 months ago, I can't see any vet willing to put up with that, their businesses would be struggling to survive if they had to wait that long for payment.

5. dickybirdclocks

So surely the insurance companies would have to fall in line if customers and vets used companies that acted promptly .Its not that i went for a cheapo company ,nd the company i use "John Lewis AXA" state that they will deal directly with vets .Most companies have now to wait periods before payment and 90 days is common .Have you seen a vet that looks short of money ? and the 90 days is per customer so cheques should be arriving regularly based on many customers .

6. dickybirdclocks

May well look round for a more agreeable vet if such a thing exists ,How would the average person stump up £1000 or more for treatment and wait for insurance company ? and figure could be far higher in some cases.

7. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

It's AXA I'm with and my vet won't take payment from them, my vet isn't a pauper but neither is she rolling in it, it's up to the vet whether or not they will deal with the insurance company or not. You could always change insurance company a lot of vets will deal direct with petplan.

8. dickybirdclocks

I wonder why petplan is the favoured insurance co of vets ? .Petplan are more expensive than the other insurance companies giving comparable cover and the substantial extra is possibly used as a payment sweetener.

9. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I'm not 100% sure but I have heard that they are quite quick at paying out, if your vets a good one I would keep them and change insurance, good vets are worth their weight in gold, it might be worth asking them if they would deal directly with petplan.

10. dickybirdclocks

I said to receptionist " I bet you would deal direct with Petplan wouldn't you" she said no yet in Petplan leaflets on counter the text claims that vets deal directly with insurance company in vast % of cases. It is frustrating as i said motor insurance companies deal direct with service providers and most of pet insurance companies appear also to do motor insurance .The industry needs a shake up.

11. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I'm quite interested in this, what if your dog has surgery or treatment amounting to say £2000, surely a vet can't expect people to have that money readily available?!

12. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Yup unless you can come to some agreement with your vet you would need to pay up front. My sister had to pay a small fortune a few years ago when her staffie girl had cancer, luckily enough our mum and dad have a wee bit tucked away and are good for a tap, it would be either that or shoved on the plastic.

13. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

The reason vets have Pet Plan leaflets is that they get a commission on sales. Pet Plan also pay out very quickly - usually within 14 days. However, some vets don't want to wait for the insurance companies to pay them and some don't mind. A new insurance company (VetsMediCover) will only pay the vet directly, so if you have a policy there you must make sure your vet will deal with them as their policy clearly states that they won't pay you.

Why won't the vet play ball with your insurance company? Probably because it's entirely possible that your claim won't get paid (for any number of reasons) and the vet wants to make sure he's got paid. It's your debt, no one else's.

As for shaking up the industry... Most brand names offer different policies by different underwriters. Thus Sainsbury's pet insurance is underwritten by AXA. Sainsburys car insurance is underwritten by esure. They have no connection with each other except they are sold as "Sainsburys".

The biggest problem with pet insurance is that you can't change insurers after your pet has had an illness or accident because NO other insurer will cover you for that condition. EVER. That's the biggest problem with the whole pet insurance industry. And don't get me started on some of the other shady practices.

14. There is a notice at our vets saying the first £1000 has to be payed upfront and will wait for the rest from the insurer but if its petplan then you have to pay £500 upfront then they will happily wait for the rest. when I asked why They said it was because petplan were quicker at paying up and the most likely to pay up. I now make sure I have at least a couple of grand in the bank should anything happen knowing That I don't have to worry about getting the money upfront for the vet.

15. dickybirdclocks

It looks fairly obvious that vets get a cut from petplan .As said i will look around for a vet that deals direct and give them my business .

16. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Gosh this is depressing what if you have no money, they can't refuse to treat an ill animal as its neglect. I guess things like chemo etc just wouldn't be given..?

That is a sad fact I don't know many who could stump up a grand in cash let alone more :(

17. Debxan

Debxan PetForums Member

No, many people cannot find that sort of money especially in these difficult times.

When my dog Pippa became ill she was admitted to the RVC at Potters Bar. I was told that the tests and a one week stay would cost £2,000. Tried to get the OK from the insurance company (Tesco) first but they refused to say whether they would pay or not before processing paperwork which would take a couple of weeks. In the end I took the chance and kept it all crossed. I was paid out - luckily. The RVC only asked me for the excess lucky again. Not sure what I would have done if the claim had been refused though.

18. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

How old is Ben now? Reference the weight; Kilo was 11kg at 9 weeks and 14kg at 11 weeks when he had his vaccinations. About a month ago he was 27kg so would expect him to be just over 30kg now (RR so you have some comparison). However, the dam and sire are big dogs.

I replied to give a word of caution really; I have swapped Kilo onto adult food about a fortnight or so ago as one of his stifles has started to click and the vet thinks that his growth has been a little rapid. I have been feeding a good quality puppy food (Barking Heads) that is not excessively high in protein, however I have still had to lower the protein content of his meals to slow growth a little. Also, ensure that you do not feed supplements or an excess of vitamin D (fish oils etc) as this can cause calcium to leach from the growing bones.

Sorry if I sound patronising (sure you know the above already) but just though I would mention it in case you didn't!

19. dickybirdclocks

Much of what you are saying surprises me regards altering food because of rampant growth - me being a novice i rely on others with knowledge to educate me - I will speak with breeder Ben is 12 weeks and 14 kilos he has grown rapidly over a month in all directions he does look quite thin to me but Vet seemed to think he looked ok today .Ben eats Arde* Gran** large breed puppy food 3 x 150 gms breakfast - dinner and tea and has an inch of goats milk for supper .During the course of the day he also has various treats for good toilet practice and he also has 2 sticks of Denta for healthy teeth and gums .

20. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Kilo's breeder agreed with the change recommended by the vet to get the growth slowed; not saying that you will need to do this at all, it is just well worth keeping an eye on I think (just something to look out for). Kilo was about 15.5kg I think at 12 weeks so not dissimilar; he had huge growth spurts where he looked really ribby and a bit skinny but then filled out again a bit. He is still on the lean side, but I think it's best with such rapidly growing bones and joints.

BH puppy food is 28% protein; not sure what AG is.

On this thread I started, a very experienced RR owner (Ridgielover) also mentions feeding pups adult food for the same reason. Just posting this so you are aware; certainly not saying you are doing anything wrong at all.
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/157731-clicking-stifle.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice