Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vetinary nurse has just told me NOT to feed raw chicken

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by lillylove, May 11, 2010.

1. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

to my kitten.
    The receptionist was 'conferring' between the nurse and I, and repeated what the nurse had said.

I was calling to book an appt and have a chat with the nurse about Lilly's feeding 'issues' lol

I challenged this and asked why not? I thought plenty of people fed raw meats to their cats.

Apparently just not raw chicken :confused1:

2. moandben

moandben PetForums Member

odd, would love to know the reason for this ?

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yup, nothing new :mad: - lots of raised eyebrows on the topic of feeding raw at the vets. If I remember rightly, someone else here has been shouted at. A lot of them prefer it if you feed your cat dry - particularly the brand that they happen to have at the reception.

Ok, that last bit was perhaps a bit unkind but I think quite a lot of us are simply not saying anymore what we feed - to get round the agro.

Did they say why not chicken? Is it because of salmonella? Well, that is more of an issue for humans than for cats as their stomachs are designed so to cope with bacteria a lot more efficiently than us. As long as you observe normal hygiene (ie. wash your hands after handling the raw meat, wash their plates in soapy hot water, wash your hands after dealing with litter etc), oh and get the meat from a reputable butchers etc, then you should be fine!

#3 hobbs2004, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  4. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

I got really cross with her. No she didn't even say WHY. I imagine it is because it is salmonella as she spoke to me as if I was a total dunce and said 'it will make her ill' I said that she seems fine to me....

She said 'well if the cat caught a rabbit and ate that well that would be fine'

I said 'why is that ok? A wild rabbit with diseases and worms? Chicken that has probably been treated, is completely fresh and in date?' :confused1:

It has knocked my confidence a little!

5. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

I had a local vet saying about salmonella to me... she also said though that as long as you follow good hygeine practices it should be fine but she's had several cats severely ill with salmonella poisoning in recently.

She also said that cats are more at risk of salmonella poisoning if *only* fed raw chicken as raw... as it doesn't encourage the correct gut balance of acid and bacteria that protects them from the salmonella. So if they are fed the correct mix of meat/bone/organ and several varieties of meat then they should have the correct gut fauna to cope with it.

6. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

I'd be interested to see if this veterinary nurse has had 'nutrition' training as she is talking out of her you know what!! Sorry but it makes me cross!!

You are completely fine to feed raw chicken providing you following the advice of Hobbs above... i am currently feeding mine chicken mince from darlings and it is free range, organic meat. In a few weeks they will have lamb and then some beef and so on and so on!

I think you should complain to their practice manager!

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Of course it knocks you for six - someone who should know telling you that you are doing something wrong - that would make most people ponder :eek:

On the plus side there appear to be more vets out there who are open-minded about feeding raw. Remember that article in the daily mail in january!

The good folk on here will bump up your confidence in no time!

8. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Next time they try to give you nutritional advice, ask what training on the issue they have had. Qualified vets have a minute portion of their training dedicated specifically to cat nutrition.

I am willing to bet seeing as a vet nurse course is far shorter and their training far less in depth that their course covers even less. The rest of their “knowledge” is based on the information given to them by the dry food reps they encounter or courses run by or sponsored by the dry food companies.

Ask them a few more questions back - what would they recommend, as them what kind of meat is best, what proportion of muscle, organ and bone the cat should be having, what levels of taurine are recommended and how that is best put into the cats diet ;) ;)

All in all I would not consider a vet nurse and certainly not a receptionnist fully 'qualified' to give specific nutritional advice.

#8 Saikou, May 11, 2010
  9. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

My (ex!) Vet was a bit of a cow to me over feeding raw.

It's a load of old rubbish. I suppose it could happen but didn't Cats get Salmonella a few years ago from wet tinned food??

I thought that very few Chickens actually carried Salmonella these days anyway due to vaccinations etc?

10. elsiea

elsiea PetForums Junior

Yes, try googling "Pet Food Recall" or similar, and see how many different articles there are!
    Funny how no one ever seems to be warned about these possibilities by their vets ;)

11. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Cats are designed to eat raw meat as long as you follow hygiene procedures and don't feed solely chicken you'll be fine. Most vets and vet nurses have had little nutrition training most of which is sponsored by the crappy food they stock in the surgeries. Mine luckily doesn't mind me giving my dog raw food and the cat I get will be on raw too

#11 Nicky10, May 11, 2010
  12. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I was recently rapped on the knuckles by a dog behaviourist (who has also been a Vet Nurse for 25 years) for feeding my dog raw. Her main objection is that she thinks it puts too much strain on the kidneys and is too high in protein.

HOWEVER.... a young friend of mine is in the second year of his training as a vet nurse, and has just had some nutritional training which said that raw feeding is better than 95% of commercial dog foods out there!

The kidney thing is a myth anyway as anyone who is a member of BritBarf (run by a vet) can tell you - the group has links to studies that disprove it.

It's very interesting to know that the younger generation of vet nurses are being schooled in raw feeding - so in time, it should become more tolerated by the veterinary profession. VNs have a great deal of nutritional training and vets usually rely on their nurses' knowledge in that area, as they receive limited tuition themselves at vet school.

13. Tje

Tje Banned

that's what I am doing now... just lying to my vet about my cats' diet. I don't want to lie... I just feel I have little or no choice. He is totally unsupportive of raw feeding. Actually it's worse than just not being supportive, he is totally against it. So to avoid agro, and to avoid every ailment my cats will ever have in the future being written off to "well, that's because you feed them raw"... I just lie. It's not direct lying... I lie by omission, lol. If he assumes I am still feeding dry food from Royal Canin & Hills... well, who am I to correct him. :eek:

I have found another holistic vet who is very supportive of raw feeding, and I have consulted with her about feeding my cats, and she was great... but it's almost a 4hr roundtrip to where her practice is, so not viable to go to see her with my cats.

On one hand I feel I am being totally irresponsible by not being open with my vet about what my cats are eating, but he doesn't even want them eating a high quality wet diet... he supports Royal Canin & Hills (preferably dry kibble) and nothing else.

14. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

This makes me fume :mad: For fun I took a test on pet nutrition sponsored by a well known manufacturer (that one loved by vets). Took me 10 minutes and I scored 100% by giving the answers I knew they wanted. I now have a certificate which proclaims me a qualified pet Nutrition Advisor - for both dogs and cats :scared: I suspect the average vet nurse has been 'trained' in nutrition by the self same company. It's sad as I don't think they want to give bad advice but have no real choice but churn out the rubbish they've been taught.

Tje likes this.
  15. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I think the new generation are being more broadly educated. While it is true that my friend has had seminars from Hills (I have seen the giant folders of data he was given by them), he is also being taught about raw feeding.... and funnily enough nobody is sponsoring that.....!

16. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Did I mention that name ;)

17. Tje

Tje Banned

I would love to reply to this..... but I am speechless.

Thanks for sharing!

18. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

You didn't..... but I am saying that is who gave him the tuition and the gigantic folders ;)
    Which I looked through myself, at his kitchen table.

19. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Perhaps you could do it to and then your vet couldn't argue with you. You'd be the one 'qualified' :D

20. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Exactly the 'opinion' i have encountered. Personally i believe that i know how my cat should live and none will tell me otherwise

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice