Veterinary Laser Therapy

Discussion in 'Dog Agility and Flyball' started by Lorraine Hobday, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Lorraine Hobday

Lorraine Hobday PetForums Newbie

Hi

I am a mobile veterinary nurse and investigating the possibility of offering laser therapy. Therapeutic lasers are used treat a variety of conditions including arthritis, post op wounds and much more.

It is non invasive, pain free and sessions usually last up to 10 minutes depending on the condition and area to be covered. My own dog has been treated with laser as she was very lame. She is now 100% sound after several sessions.

Laser treatments can cost up to £35 per session.

I am looking for feedback as part of my research so any comments would be useful.

Thanking younin advance ☺☺

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Two of my dogs have had laser therapy, however as it was/is just part of the whole therapeutic approach (underwater treadmill, swimming, massage, PROM etc) it is difficult to determine the value of it alone.

3. Lorraine Hobday

Hi Smokey bear

Thank you for your comments, laser can be used in conjunction with other treatments, my dog was treated only using the laser and at first I was very sceptical as she was not prescribed any painkillers etc. I was totally shocked by how quickly she responded and during the treatment she was so relaxed.and actually appeared to look forward to it!!

4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Laser threatment has been offered by many ACPAT physiotherapists for a number of years.

5. Lorraine Hobday

Yes I know, excellent choice of therapy.

6. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Several of my dogs have had laser treatment over the past 5 years and I'm a big fan.

My vet invested in a K Laser from The States about 4 years ago and initially the dogs were treated by a vet. More recently it has been a veterinary nurse, seemingly without much training and little idea of what she was doing. I stick to my chiropractor for laser treatment now.

7. sophiacole553

sophiacole553 PetForums Junior

you have video, or pict review about you laser therapy?

8. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

My dog has had laser therapy to treat lameness and it worked very well. He had 4 sessions and was completely sound after the last session and has been so ever since. His weight bearing on the initial consultation with a physiotherapist was majorly off but became almost equal. I am thinking of taking him back actually to see if it will help a lump that has appeared on his paw which the lab has said contains alot of inflammation.