Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vet wouldn’t clip my puppy’s nails

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rhiannon Owen-Jones, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Rhiannon Owen-Jones

Rhiannon Owen-Jones PetForums Newbie

Hello,

i have a 14 week old dachshund whose nails are getting quite long. They curl (though not under his paw) and I can hear him walk along our wooden floor.

I went to the vet today to have them clipped and he refused to clip them saying that there is no need to cut young dog’s nails. It is only needed in extreme cases and when the dog gets old. Of course I want to listen to my vet’s advice but everything I have read online says how important it is to keep their nails short.

Has anyone else heard similar about not clipping nails?

2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi. Welcome to the forum :)

It's based on the theory that the dogs will wear their nails down just by pavement walking. If a vet won't do it, you could ask a groomer (a groomer would be my first choice for this sort of thing anyway, tbh).

But, as your dog is still a puppy, you could join us on the Nail Trimming Thread, which will help you learn how to do it yourself;
    https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/nail-trimming-game-on-position.536476/

:)

3. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

I think you need a new vet :Nailbiting

Its a super good idea to get puppies used to nail trims as young as possible. It'll save you a lot of potential grief when they grow up!

4. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I highly recommend that you get pups used to handling their feet and conditioning them to the sight, sound and feel of clippers or a Dremel because even if the pups nails don't need trimming (the probably do) you are making your life easier as the pup gets older and will need their nails trimmed.
    Definitely jump on the nail thread if you want to ask for advice :)

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

sounds a bit nuts, I would change vets. You should not really need to be cutting nails too often but a puppy should have its nails clipped once a week while it is nursing so it does not scratch the bitch. Sounds like your pup did not have this done so needs doing now. Not every dog wears its nails down walking. One of mine was doing between 6 and 12 miles of roadwork a day and did not wear her nails down because they did not touch the ground! They need very regular trimming, first dog I have ever had to do regularly and the one that has done the most road work. I have a feeling dachshund's nails are similar as it is very common to see them with long and twisted nails.

6. Rhiannon Owen-Jones

Rhiannon Owen-Jones PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for your replies!
    I was a little taken aback by his comment and since he is our vet I didn’t question it at first.
    Thanks for your comments - I will definitely visit a grooming salon and that thread!

7. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Yes, we have just set up "Nail Club" (that is the thread link above:D) and this is a great place to learn how to look after nails from the very start. Lots of friendly support, helpful videos and all questions answered.

This is a great time to get involved as it has only just got going. Hope to see you over there:)

lullabydream, Blitz and O2.0 like this.
  8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

That's very odd.
    My vet offers nail trims for a small fee, no appointment needed. You can bring your dog in any time and a vet tech will trim up the nails.
    However, I do recommend learning to do it yourself. For the pup's sake and yours. It's IMO part of basic at-home care :)

lullabydream, LinznMilly and Blitz like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice