Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vet wants to switch back to dry

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by muffingizmo, Mar 8, 2017.

1. muffingizmo

muffingizmo Newbie kitty mummy

IMG_7323.JPG My baby muffin has recently been diagnosed with colitis and the vet has suggested I switch her over to this-
    Royal Canin Veterinary Gastro Intestinal diet
    As it has more fibre. My muffin has been passing blood in her stool and I'm glad it's nothing sinister like cancer as she didn't have the perfect start of her life but she has been a fighter and come such a long way. I switched her over to wet food only diet (animonda carny) and only when it seemed like she is happy with her food and healthy, I started noticing blood in her stool.
    I'm against feeding cats dry food and have been recommending everyone in my family to switch over to wet. Now this seems like a step back. I don't want to cause her any harm because of my opinion about dry food. I want what's best for her so I sucked it up and started feeding her the dry yesterday (what joy, my other cats likes the food too and started nicking her food). I really don't know what to do. Help?

2. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Is feeding the wet version of the recommended diet not an option?

If you don't want to address it with the vet, just say your cat doesn't like dry food!

spotty cats and chillminx like this.
  3. muffingizmo

I have the wet version and muffin puts her nose up. It looks like whiskas. Smells disgusting too!

4. Dobby65

Dobby65 PetForums Senior

What about adding a bit of pumpkin to her food? I buy the canned form and freeze it in ice cube trays. I add one cube to my Muffin's breakfast - she loves it and it's a great source of fibre.

Ali71 and Calvine like this.
  5. muffingizmo

I'll give it a go! Thanks x

6. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Have you tried raw?

7. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Milo has had a few occasions where there would be a fresh bit of blood on his poo, and when I took him to get checked out the vet said it could be constipation. Luckily they are on a wet diet anyway so we did add some pumpkin to his food and it cleared up. Without being graphic, if he's had to strain then he might have a little tear that will heal itself (bit like humans and piles) so added fibre, and of course fluid, surely will be more beneficial than giving him a dry diet that with the best will in the world he might not take in adequate water for? If you can't get hold of pumpkin, butternut squash is a good substitute. Milo is also partial to a bit of broccoli. I would start slowly and build up, maybe half a teaspoon to begin x

8. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

I would feed wet. Dry removes water from the bowel so if there is a nick leafing to blood in poo it will hurt pushing a load of dry out x Raw is worth going for too. If the blood is red and fresh it's a low down nick or irritation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice