UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor dog is only 11 months old but for the past 2/3 months has been suffering from a runny nose. He is on his 3rd lot of Antibiotics, and is over half way through these so I would have thought if they were going to work he would be better by now? I have also found spots of blood on the floor as well and one morning he did have a proper nose bleed. He has also started sneezing quite a bit as well.

Anyway, the vet said if he was still suffering then she would put him under GA and take nasal swabs, I am assuming she will be testing for cancer, is there anything else it can be?

The vet told me originally he had a sort of kennel cough virus, even though he had been vaccinated against it. My dog is very lethargic and I can barely remember him being a pain, shoving a toy in my lap every 10 seconds, lol. He is a border collie so is normally very energetic.

So, is there anything else other than kennel cough it could be?

·
Registered
14,446 Posts
Sounds as though your collie had an upper respiratory tract infection akin to kennel cough.

My rescue collie pup, who I took on at the beginning of January, had obviously had it as she infected my two old collies. It was a form of parainfluenza and very nasty. Sometimes these things can take quite a while to clear up.

As others have said, your vet is doing nasal swabs to determine which drugs to use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, I can't imagine there is many more ABs to try, he is on his 3rd different lot.

His nose is definitely worse again tonight, so looks like ABs aren't doing much.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
My poor dog is only 11 months old but for the past 2/3 months has been suffering from a runny nose. He is on his 3rd lot of Antibiotics, and is over half way through these so I would have thought if they were going to work he would be better by now? I have also found spots of blood on the floor as well and one morning he did have a proper nose bleed. He has also started sneezing quite a bit as well.

Anyway, the vet said if he was still suffering then she would put him under GA and take nasal swabs, I am assuming she will be testing for cancer, is there anything else it can be?

The vet told me originally he had a sort of kennel cough virus, even though he had been vaccinated against it. My dog is very lethargic and I can barely remember him being a pain, shoving a toy in my lap every 10 seconds, lol. He is a border collie so is normally very energetic.

So, is there anything else other than kennel cough it could be?
If he is wanting to take swabs it is probably to look for specific Bacterial and fungal infections in the nasal cavity which they can get. With kennel cough you can get secondary bacterial infection too. Although he is using antibiotics if they are not the right ones for a specific bacteria infection or not a long enough course then they wont clear it up. Some types of bacteria need certain antibiotics even a combination of ones and extra long courses. If he did have a fungal infection then anti biotics are not going to work anyway, so I would think thats why the need to do swabs and cultures. Infection both bacterial and fungal can cause bleeding as well too. So doesnt mean that he is particularly expecting anything sinister just proably investigation along these lines.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Just had another thought there are actually parasites that can live in the nose too that I forgot about that can cause these symptoms, so that another possibility he is looking for perhaps as well as bacterial and fungal infections that can commonly cause it as well.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Thanks all, hopefully that is all it is then. Surely its rare for a 11 month old dog to have cancer anyway.
It would be pretty unusual I would have thought. Allergies can even cause it o there are a lot more things it is more likely to be.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are testing a stool sample today, just to make sure it isn't lung worm. Then he is in tomorrow for a camera up his nose and xrays on his head :(

Still, hopefully after all of that we should find out what is wrong with him and fix him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.