Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vet - money, money money

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Keypr, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Keypr

Keypr PetForums Junior

I took my 11 month old kitten to the vets Saturday, she had been very sick during Friday, the vet thinks maybe she had a virus or infection (temp normal) but gave her a shot of anitbiotic anyway and said come back Sunday - £42

Examined by another vet Sunday, said exactly the same as the day before and gave her a stronger antibiotic (still no raised temperature) and to bring her again Monday for x-ray if she get worse - £42

She did get worse, she is currently waiting for an operation today to remove a blockage in her intestine - she had to stay in overnight yesterday on a drip for pain relief and rehydration & scan - £350

The vet phoned this morning insisting we paid the fees for last night before they will operate! it has taken 3 days & £434 to reach this point and if she had been correctly diagnosed Saturday she wouldnt have needed an overnight stay for rehydration, the 'financial director' said they wouldn't operate until we had given them a credit card - in the meantime my gravely ill kitten has had to wait a further day whilst they rack up the bill

This just doesnt sit right with me, it feels as if the whole process is all about the money rather than the welfare of the pet - I appreciate it is a business but is the whole episode just feels callous

#1 Keypr, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. Paddy Paws

Paddy Paws PetForums Member

Sorry to hear that your kitten is so unwell. Unfortunately vets have to treat the symptoms first to see what response they get and then take things from there. Had they jumped straight in and done an xray and a scan and found nothing you would have been left with a large unnecessary bill. It sounds to me like they have done everything right. Veterinary treatment is expensive, as we have the NHS funding our healthcare, it leave us unaware of how expensive medical procedures, equipment, drugs, drapes, anaesthetics, xrays, scans etc really are. Perhaps getting your cat insured when it is over this worry would be a good idea (anything related to this illness would not be covered). Good luck with you little one :)

hobbs2004 likes this.
  3. Keypr

Keypr PetForums Junior

Hindsight is a great thing :(....they will most deffinately insured after today.

Lulu is a real chewing machine - would she not be covered if she did it again, as a new incident?

4. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Did the vet carry out a physical examination on first visit?

Considering it's obvious this blockage has been causing the problem all along it should have been detected(able) at this early stage.

Like you in the absence of a raised temperature, I'm unsure as to why antibiotics were prescribed.

I too wouldn't be too happy if I were requested to pay in such a manner before further treatment was carried out. Any practices I've attended have never been like this thankfully.

5. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Most vets are expensive and that is something which is difficult to avoid BUT the importance they put on the money side of things does vary, i would not be happy being asked to pay before they done any further treatment, just in my personal opinion, that is putting money making before the animal.
    My previous vets i was with were extremely money orientated and it was all they ever talked about when you went, more so than the animal, but now we are one that leaves that til the end and is willing to do payment plans etc which tells me they just care about treating your pets :)

6. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I've had two emergencies where I ended up not having cash on me at the time. One was waiting for pay day and Kerry had a deep cut in his paw, the vet said it was fine and I could pay when my money came in. The second was when one of the kittens breathing was weird and it was barely moving after being born so I rushed them in, OH was at work and had the card with him. This vet berated me saying I should pay on the day. I was saying to my mom on the phone today about alot of vets being moneygrabbers now. She said cats are small money to our local vet so they take you for as much as they can doing as little as poissble. I understand that there are expensive treatments but if you go in for a quick health check of your cats that takes 10 minutes, thats £40 down the drain. Our local vet doesn't even do the standard weigh, heart, lungs, palpate, ears. They check the eyes, teeth and coat and send you on your way. We have to get someone to drive us 25 mins away to get that as standard! It also costs us £8 less.

7. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I didn't like my previous condescending tw*t of a vet so decided to give this new Easipet a try last week as the boys needed their jabs updating. Well they were brilliant!! Both cats had a good examination including eyes & teeth being checked. Merson has a slightly dodgy looking eye due to previous ops on it so the vet popped in the orange drops & checked it out further to be safe. He also gave me LOADS of information on Merson further to his illness as a kitten TEN years ago!! More than any other vet has given in that time!!!

How much did all this cost? £20 per jab per cat! That's it folks!! Nothing else! Not even a charge for the orange drops. No consultation fee.

And EVERYONE was lovely. The receptionists & the nurse.

I would (and have) recommend them.

8. Abcynthia

Abcynthia PetForums Member

This is where I love my vets very much. I don't even have to ask if I can pay it up. I just pay it in as big a chunks as I can if I have any issues with paying on the day. I usually have it paid off within a month mind you and I think because they know me well enough they know I will pay. I know there is quite a few people that go in there and are allowed to do this. They are also a very big local practice and the canine rescue and the cats protection use them.

9. Keypr

Keypr PetForums Junior

They did and said the could feel something but believed it possibly to be a swollen gland.

Also said highly unlikely to be a foreign body as cats seldom ingest things.

Turn out she has eaten a piece of wood! which was removed this afternoon.

I am eternally grateful they managed to remove it but the whole episode is so money driven (insurance led) I think some vets have lost sight of the real issues.

10. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I'm sooo jealous right now :( Give me your vet please!

11. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Sorry you had a bad experience but glad kitty is ok :)

12. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Glad she's going to be alright!

13. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Yes, but the point is it wasn't was it? And in a cat who was vomiting! Everything pointed towards a blockage and I think this should have been ruled out earlier-by their very nature removal need to be prompt to avoid further complications. Also as we all know kittens do ingest things a bit more often than the vet's comments would suggest!

Sorry but based on what you've told us I'm not very impressed with these vets at all! And that's entirely apart from the financial aspect of things.

At any rate I'm glad to hear she's doing well now!

#13 Ianthi, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  14. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

But hindsight is a wonderful thing plus is it had only been a virus then Keypr may have been on here complaining about how the vet had charged her for xray's when all her cat need was time/antibiotics as it was a virus, sometimes Vets can't win and it may be very easy for us to sit in judgement after the fact but we are not vets and should not try to diagnose over the internet.

15. Keypr

Keypr PetForums Junior

When they asked for a credit card yesterday morning before the would move to the next stageI lost the plot somewhat, their response to my ranting about my sick pet who needed an emergency proceedure was come and collect her if you are not happy

Shs is far from out of the woods yet and they have you over an emotional barrel with this and I am fuming that their primary concern is how and when they are going to get paid. :mad:

16. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I disagree! My comments are based on presenting facts and have nothing to do with hindsight! We are essentially talking about a missed diagnosis here.

If the kitten presented with vomiting only I would have a very difference perspective and can see where the 'ruling out' method of diagnosis would apply-though I am at a loss to understand why antibiotics were prescribed. However, we know this is not the case since an unconfirmed 'mass' was also detected on examination. Since a blockage-a potentially far more serious cause and there were clear indications one existed-could also account for the same symptoms I believe this should have been ruled out far earlier! Instead we have a situation where the kitten necessitated a night on IV fluids at the vets.

As I mentioned earlier I'm also concerned as to the reasons the vet gave for not pursuing and investigating the mass further particularly when one was initally detectable!

As it turns out it was a piece of wood which adds to the gravity of the situation!

17. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Ianthi are you a Vet have you seen/felt this cat, no you haven't so whilst it was plainly clear to you it wasn't to the vet at the time, so they treated what they suspected first and then went on treat the blockage, you were not present at the consultations so you do not know how the cat acted/presented, what the the owner said and how she described what was wrong, and what the vet told the OP at the intial consultation, I have witnessed myself and also have been guilty of being so emotionally charged in the vet surgery that I have not taken in all the diganosis and advice I have been given, yes this Vet seems to be somewhat money driven but at the end of the day :)cryin:I hate that phrase but) it is a business and they charge a fee for a service.

Kepyr I hopes she rallies and makes a quick recovery.

18. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I know it sounds quite callous but this is probably standard practice for cases with new clients (I take it you are new). I used to work at a vets years ago & we had numerous clients who would rack up huge bills then never pay. Most vets I have used have been great but I can understand why some need to ensure that they are going to be paid for treatment carried out.

I really hope your cat gets better soon

19. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ianthi, as much as I respect your knowledge - and trust me should there ever be anything seriously wrong with one of my cats I will be knocking on your door and dragging you along to the vet :D - I agree with GH here.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing. The mass that one of them felt could have just been poop or a swollen gland. Had this previously with Jen where they thought it might be something and you suggested that it might be nothing - and you were right. It was just poop.

Gosh, re the antibiotics - isn't that pretty much standard practice nowadays. A sick cat arrives, a shot of antibiotics and anti-inflams are given -just in case. Whether a temp is present or not.

20. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I'm usually the last to jump to the defence of the veterinary profession; especially those uncaring and insensitive enough to ask for credit card details upfront. Though even that leaves me wanting to say they are a business, pure and simple... yes, in the business of caring for people's animals but it's not uncommon for practices to encounter can't pay, won't pay clients. But suffice to say, in my opinion this practice acted insensitively.

I can't be convinced, however, that that the vet should have immediately resorted to invasive surgery on the basis of a suspected 'lump' which they believed could have been glandular. It is very much standard practice in both feline and human medicine, unless there is an obvious cause/emergency situation not to jump in with invasive treatment. The vet treated the kitten, advised that the kitten should be seen the very next day and then, with no obvious improvement, the kitten was correctly diagnosed on day 3. That, in my book, is swift enough and absolutely the correct course of action.

It's very unfortunate that the process of elimination added to the cost but that's the nature of thing, unfortunately.

hobbs2004 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice