Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vet Help Required

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Handler, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Handler

Handler PetForums Newbie

Hi I have returned from abroad recently and am unemployed and without any income.

I have just given a home to a very large GSD who needed rehoming and find that he has not seen a vet in some years and has not been snipped. He is very strong and has not been trained to walk to lead.
    I am sure that I can handle him and his training but I would like to have him checked out by a vet, have his shots and to discuss whether he should be castrated but am concerned that I will not be able to afford to pay the costs.

Somebody said that there is a charity that caters for vet care for impoverished dogs.

I live in the Ipswich/Colchester and wonder whether anybody can offer advice please.

Thanks

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

You will be able to qualify for vetinary treatment from the PDSA. They are not free they work on a donation basis :)

Do you have any pics? :D

3. animallover111

As sequeena has said you will probably qualify for the PDSA.......if the dog has not been seen by a vet for years i would get him seen asap to arrange vaccinations etc.........

4. Well done you for rehoming a dog in need!
    Taking out of the equasion the initial cost of the initial vet check you are speaking of please remember that should your dog have any future health issues then you could be in for a nasty shock with the cost of any vet charges.
    If at all possible I would consider taking out insurance sooner rather then later (even if only very basic) to cater for any of unforseen costs should they apply. If you are findng it difficult now you would certainly find it difficult should you be hit with these in the future.
    All the best, and welcome to the forum.
    regards
    DT

5. Handler

Handler PetForums Newbie

Thanks,

Yep, that is what I have in mind. I collected him yesterday and am looking today.

I looked on line for PDSA and find that they have 3 secondhand clothes shops in the area, presumably to raise funds but no obvious treatment centres.

Hopefully somebody locally will be able to offer advice.

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Agree with you DT, insurance is a must if you don't want to be landed with huge vet bills :thumbup:

7. rona

rona Guest

8. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Where are you in the country?

9. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Ipswich/Colchester ;)

I agree with DT.. all the best with your new doglets and well done for taking a dog in that needed a new home

10. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

PDSA offer a somewhat free service although there is a small charge its no where near as great as private vets. RSPCA also offer cheaper treatment but they are slightly more expensive than PDSA.

11. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Durr. Remind me to WAKE UP before I start posting :p

12. Handler

Handler PetForums Newbie

Thanks Rona.
    Had a look at the Bluecross site.
    It seems that their centres are in London and their care funds are only available to those who receive Government or Local Authority benefits.

13. Handler

Handler PetForums Newbie

Hi Kammie,
    Looked up the PDSA website and they say
    PDSA can only register clients who are in receipt of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit (Council Tax exemptions are not the same as Council Tax Benefit and do not qualify).

So it would seem that even if there were a centre nearby, which I cannot trace, I would not qualify as I do not receive any benefits from anybody.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

14. Viki

Viki PetForums Senior

As the others have already mentioned pet insurance pays for itself within a few trips to the Vets. If you need help finding a suitable policy take a look at our site (links in signature)

In the meantime I wish you all the best in finding some cheaper veterinary help.
    Viki x

15. Handler

Handler PetForums Newbie

Hi Viki,
    Yes, I am aware of the importance of insurance and will use your link to find quotation. That may help to prevent future problems.

My concern was that the cost of bringing the dog 'up to scratch' may be significant and will not be coverable by insurance.

16. Once you have been to the vets anything that is noted by the vet will not be covered by any policy anyway! At least if the insurance in place should someting develope n the future you would be covered! following the mandatory 14 days of course.
    regards
    DT

17. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

some vets are nice enough to let you pay back bit by bit weekly, so you could try asking nicely. also when we found a ferret and took it in to be checked over we got a reduced rate for the injections and didnt have to pay for a check up as it wasnt ours, it is now thought (our vets really are brill). it might be worth telling a white lie, say that you have found the dog and are keeping it until owners can be located as there is no room at local rescues, you can then always say the owner was never found so you kept him.

18. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Are you eligible for benefits? if so I would apply and try to go via the PDSA - if there is not a PDSA near to you then from what I understand they may have agreements in place with vets in that area that can treat your pets and it wont cost you anything other than a donation.

19. Handler

Handler PetForums Newbie

Hi Kittykat,
    Thanks for suggestion.
    I really do not want to hand over my life, bank accounts, serenity, independence etc to civil servants in order to gain the possibility that a charity might choose to contribute towards some unknown vet expenses.

I have never had to submit to that indignity yet and hope that I will survive the rest of my life before having to do so. We will get by on our own.

Again, thanks for the suggestion. I am delighted to see the amount of interest people are taking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice