Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vet has given me human paracetamol for my dog

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lindsey jac, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Lindsey jac

Lindsey jac PetForums Newbie

my local vet as ran out of dog paracetamol and given me human paracetamol suspension 5 ml. To be taken twice daily at 2.5ml doses. I am a bit hesitate to use it. I did tell her this she said it’s fine. Still a little concerned. So is all paracetamol really the same. Surely they wouldn’t give it to me if they had concerns. The gentleman before me was given it as well for his dog.

lorilu likes this.
  2. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

It will be fine if your vet prescribed it, they have studied for many years at university and kind of know what they doing.

kimthecat likes this.
  3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Calpol is often given to dogs.. As long as you are advised the correct dose then there is nothing to worry about.

It can sometimes work out cheaper too.

Many owners here have given their dogs Calpol as advised by the vet and it has done wonders.

kimthecat likes this.
  4. Lindsey jac

Thanks we still worry about our fur babies x

lorilu and lullabydream like this.
  5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

My dog was sent home with Calpol after surgery, it's fine but not the sugar free version as it contains Xylitol, a sweetener that is extremely toxic to dogs.
    ETA - no Xylitol in Calpol, my mistake !

#5 SusieRainbow, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    lullabydream likes this.
  6. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

As long as you stick to the dose prescribed by the vet for your dog, no problem. My cat has Piriton daily and a vet recently suggested that ''Aspirin would be as good as, and cheaper than'' something else he could prescribe for another condition.
    **However, Paracetomol is a definite NO for cats and I recall a few years back the RSPCA prosecuted a woman who gave her cat Paracetomol which caused its death . . . she had done it without consulting a vet when it had a sore leg and was limping.**

#6 Calvine, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  7. Lindsey jac

THanks they gave it me in a bottle with syringe and dosage instructions. She’s had her 1st dose and sleeping now x

lullabydream likes this.
  8. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Due to an issue getting Pardale from the manufacturer, one of my dogs is now on paracetamol. She has the 500mg tablets and oral suspension, both of which are exactly the same as the human stuff so, to save the pennies, i'll be buying it myself in future rather than pay what the vet charges, until Pardale is available again.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I wonder why you would think your vet would prescribe something that is dangerous to your dog and why people on a forum would know better than the vet.

Dimwit and lullabydream like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice