Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vet Bills

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by JadeJourno, Jul 27, 2018.

1. JadeJourno

JadeJourno PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I'm a Masters Student with Channel 4 and I'm currently making a film surrounding vet bills and how a lot of people can find themselves without being able to afford them.

I'm looking to speak to any owners who have sadly had to have their pet euthanised because they couldn't afford the vet bill, or may have had to give them to a shelter/rescue centre.

If this sounds of interest to anyone, or if you know someone that may be interested, you can contact me at jade-lyons[@]outlook[.]com. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thank you for your time,
    Jade

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I hope your film includes looking at how - if - the people who were unable to afford bills made plans to be able to play them. We've just had someone who says they can't afford a vet check asking if their cat is pregnant. How do they plan to cope with the bills of looking after a litter, or if their cat needs a C-section, develops mastitis or has some other complication? By no means suggesting everyone is in that category, but some are.

sandy-cat likes this.
  3. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

I'd also like to see if the film looks at whether the owners had ever considered how they were going to afford vet bills throughout the cat's life, or if they were just hoping they never needed treatment. That is not to say every owner who finds themselves unable to pay bills falls into the latter category, as we all know that sometimes life circumstances can change, or else someone takes in a stray, or an elderly cat, and is unable to get insurance or save up any lump sum before discovering that expensive treatment is needed, but from some of the posts both on here and on social media, it does seem to me that a lot of people just do not even think about the financial implication of any illness or injury when they decide to take in a furry companion.

sandy-cat likes this.
  4. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

As others have said I think you need to be balanced and fair here. Taking on a pet is a responsibility and it is important to ensure that you have the finances in place to be able to take good care of that animal - whether through insurance, savings or whatever.

5. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Not many of us have unlimited funds so we have to decide how to prioritise our spending and unfortunately pets don’t always remain near the top of that list.
    I remember collecting a Persian cat being handed over to Rushden as owner couldn’t afford ongoing grooming costs.
    I drew up outside a smart house much bigger than my own and was met by the woman whose gel manicured talons must have cost her £100 a month not to mention the tinted hair and designer clothing.
    Poor matted little cat wasn’t given so much as a kiss goodbye and my heavy hint for a donation towards the petrol that I was paying for was ignored.

#5 Paddypaws, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    chillminx and Clairabella like this.
  6. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

But I guess the Persian suited the furniture before it became matted. :Muted

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice