Very specific agility question!

Discussion in 'Dog Agility and Flyball' started by applecrumlin, Nov 21, 2017.

1. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

Hi, we've been dabbling in agility for a few months, but haven't had many classes in that time, as the trainers have been competing most weekends and not available to teach.
    When we have tried short sequences, M is far too fast for my (lack of) handling skills, and she ends up going freestyle.
    Sunday, we actually got around a short course correctly - I ran faster, for longer, than ever before and now I'm aching all over!
    I need to get back to the gym, and work on some sprinting. Can anyone tell me a "typical" time limit for a grade 1 course, please, so I have some kind of target to work to?
    Thanks!

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

That depends on whether it's jumping or agility but roughly somewhere between 25 to 35 seconds.

applecrumlin likes this.
  3. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

Wow, it felt like about five minutes!
    She's such an enthusiastic little dog, I'm convinced that she'd be great in the right hands but I'm totally out of my depth. I don't have enough blood in my body to supply my legs and my brain at the same time so all I can hope for is that she keeps enjoying it :)

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Yes I know exactly what you mean....LOL I competed with a head banger of a collie over 25 years ago but these days it's very different and much more technical.

I'm doing a bit with my youngster but when the instructor starts talking about Germans, ketchers, etc. etc. it's all beyond me. Even the 'art' of throwing the tuggy correctly. Bless her; my trainer is attempting to teach me distance handling as there is no way at my age I'm going to be anywhere remotely near my dog.

applecrumlin likes this.
  5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Where I am, course times for grade 1 are more like 45 seconds (jumping) and up to 60 seconds for agility over a 20 obstacle course but it depends on the course distance and small dogs get more time than large.
    You can download the matrix from which KC course times are determined from here - go to the final 2 pages for the chart.
    https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/media/426667/calculating_accurate_agility_course_times_guidance.pdf
    It's a guideline, and judges can use shorter or longer times depending on the complexity of the course and ground conditions.

applecrumlin likes this.