UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a few people on here may know i am doing some major training with Maggie - so here is the silly question of the day !! :confused1::confused1::confused:::confused::

She seems very tired at the moment - not ill just pooped - is this normal when stepping up on the training !! (typing with sleeping dog at feet)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If you're sure there's nothing physically wrong, then yes it's totally normal.

Training is very tiring - they find using their brains far more knackering than physical exercise IME. It's great because you can use this to your advantage - for instance when my dog had her first season and I was keeping her in, I did loads of extra stuff in the house and garden, especially clicker training and although I'd expected her to be bouncing off the walls, she wasn't any different than when she was getting her normal quota of walks.

A clicker session, particularly if they're learning something new can absolutely wipe them out :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
actually i am trying to make an appt at the vets for my border collie. She is 17mth old and gets very tired after being out for a run around (she does constantly chase the ball on her run) but i thought collies could go for miles

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
They can but if you they are chasing (stop, start), doing training (wait, down, sit, stay, etc) and the weather is as hot as it has been then they will tire quickly.

A working collie doesn't automatically get through the same work per day as a dog that is taken out twice a day to play games, short sessions of training and interaction in the house. A sheepdog trial lasts half an hour but the dogs are absolutely done in becasue of the intensity of the concentration. They could do the running for a couple of hours max but not the focus.

Playing fetch and doing training at the same time for an hour or so is just as intense a workout as most collies get.

Hope the MOT at the vets goes ok and it may be worth looking at the fuel intake if you want to get more out of the tank or worried that the dog is running on empty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.