Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Very sick anemic/ starved sheep! Please help

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by Hammond, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Hammond

Hammond PetForums Newbie

For the last few weeks my beloved pet sheep has been acting slightly depressed and lethargic. It got to Sunday and he wasn't walking much at all. I was about to call the emergency vet when I noticed that his feet were very sensitive, and he wouldn't let me touch them as he usually does. Satisfied it was his feet (I examined and smelt them and was pretty sure it wasn't foot rot or anything similar) I decided not to call the emergency vet for fear I was over-reacting and would be taking his time away from any other seriouslly ill animals. First thing Monday I called the vet...

... It turns out my dear sheep has fluke worms and is not only dangerously anemic but seriously underweight (he hadn't been sheared this year so we hadn't realised). Obviously he has now been de-wormed but his anemia and weight is so bad he's 50/50 at the moment. The vet gave him a vit/mineral injection under the skin Monday and I attempted one this morning but as he is so underweight I had difficulty and didn't manage to get all the 5ml in him.

I am absolutely devastated and doing everything in my ability to nurse him but I just don't if it's enough. After the vet's visit Monday he perked up and ate a reasonable amount but today he's not been so good; very sleepy and reluctant to eat. He's still standing to pee and move position every now and then, and I've been been feeding him liquidised food from a baby bottle today (I've been making sure it's going down the right way) but I just don't know what else to do and I cannot bear to lose him. He's a strong sheep and I have hope and faith he'll pull through but I know to do so he needs my help.

Can anyone give me any advice? Anything would be most appreciated!! For instance if he's underweight and not used to eating - how much should I be feeding him and how often? are there specific foods that will help his condition? is he best left to sleep or better encouraged to move? Has anyone any experience recovering a sheep from this situation?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

P.S. Sorry to out this post here but this is there is no category for sheep

2. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

well im not experienced in sheep at all but you could try giving him some lactol milk it is high in nutrients, vitamins and minerals, also because its a powdered milk he may actually enjoy it, ide feed him till he doesnt want anymore basically.

i would say leave him to rest and he needs to keep as much energy as possile for when he does actually need to get up (weeing ect.) is he inside or living outdoors ??

if you brought him indoors (it will be warmer) and you could provide him with a hot water bottle so his body stays warm and he will be much more comfortable indoors.

hope that helps, sorry i could give anymore advice

p.s. you can get hold of lactol milk in most pet shops (it is for dogs, cats, kittens, and puppies) but its worth a go.

3. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

You can buy milk especially for sheep/lambs and I would give him a high quality sheep concentrate as well as plenty hay, I presume he is in a field and can get as much grass as he wants.
    There are also oral vitamin/mineral supplements especially for sheep.
    If his feet are sore that will also mean he will lie about a lot.
    How old is he?

4. Hammond

Hammond PetForums Newbie

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.

Unfortunately Lambert passed away Thursday morning.

I am absolutely devastated but at least I was there with him when he went. He is sorely missed and will never be forgotten by anyone who met him.

Thank you all again

P.S. I had been feeding him lactol milk and he was being kept indoors while he was ill but I guess this wasn't enough :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice